C4 Forums | Control4

JVC X500 + HC-250 over RS232

Morning all,

Currently have a single room setup on the bench for testing and the projector is not responding to any commands:

HC-250

JVC X500

3.5mm to DB9 Serial Cable

The pins on the cable follow the pin recommendations in the JVC manual and we are using IR Port 1.

The driver is straight from Composer.

Any tips as what else check?  The JVC manual does suggest under RS232 control that there is a setting under the "Function" menu of the OSD to switch on RS232, but that is not showing when we navigate to that menu.

Make sure you're using the correct serial cable for the HC-250.  Are you able to communicate to other serial devices.  The docs say you need a special cable  C4-CBL3.5-DB9B.  If you are able to communicate with other devices make sure you have a crossover or null modem between the HC-250 and the JVC.  Finally, I've found the serial driver from composer to be flaky.  It initially works some but it will get into a state where it constantly thinks in powering on and won't start up.  I ended just making my own 1 way driver that worked much better.  It's easier than you might think to make that driver.

• 1 year later...

I am trying to get a X500 to work with C4. And we are using a Global Cache IP2SL (IP to RS232). First I could not find the codes at all for this with RS232. I have tried the driver in the answer above but it does not work. I have tried with both a nullmodem cable and a straight RS232 cable.

I found some codes but it seems to be for newer JVC projectors:

http://support.jvc.com/consumer/support/documents/2015model_JVC_External_Control_Command_spec_v1_0.pdf

Any idea why this does not work?

Archived