C4 Forums | Control4

How can I use an Audio-Video source as an audio only source?

jbs

Hey, everyone. I've got a particular need that I'm sure can be done, but I'm not sure the best way to have my dealer program it (nor, obviously, is he). I have a video source (a DVD recorder that I'm using as a switch for some security cameras) that shows up in all the rooms where I have TVs. What I'd like to do is create an Audio "version" of the device that would take just the audio output from the DVD Recorder (it goes from the DVD Recorder, to a C4 16-channel Audio Switch, then through C4 amps) and map it ALSO to this audio device, so that I can select the audio in a room where I don't have a television.

The prior programmer they had, who's since retired, had done this same thing with our TiVos, which means you can listen to and control the Tivo from a room that only has audio (handy for the evening news which I like to listen to but don't necessarily have to see). I think that may have been by default, though, because of the Digital Audio that most cable programming comes with now.

I know at the very least they could run RCA Y-cables from the DVD recorder and connect them into two different inputs of the audio matrix, and then program a phantom device to exist on that channel, but I'd much prefer a more elegant solution (and not have to consume another input on my audio matrix).

Does this make sense? And is there a good way that I can give my dealer to do it?

Thanks!

--Jason

Hey, all. Got a PM reply that I thought I'd post here:

You can take and run the Y-cable into one of the inputs on your MC's or the Amp.

which I agree would absolutely work. But is there instead a way to do it in the programming? For example, can two different devices get their inputs from the same source? So could my dealer define a new device, like a CD player, that has as it's audio source the same port on the audio matrix that the DVD recorder has? Or can I only map one thing at a time to it?

--Jason

You might try the following:

Create a phantom CD player driver with the same IR controls of the DVD Recorder.

Create a phantom Audio Selector.

Bind the outputs of the phantom CD and DVD Recorder to phantom Audio Selector inputs.

Bind the outputs of the phantom Audio Selector to C4 Audio Switch input.

Bind the phantom CD player to same IR control as the DVD Recorder.

This will show the DVD recorder as a video and audio source.

Another option is to add a phantom TV to the audio zone and all video sources will be in that zone.

• 1 month later...

Create a phantom CD player driver with the same IR controls of the DVD Recorder.

Bind the outputs of the phantom CD and DVD Recorder to phantom Audio Selector inputs.

Another option is to add a phantom TV to the audio zone and all video sources will be in that zone.

Thanks for the suggestion, Sbutter. I ended up solving this in a different way, but one which is working well for us.

Specifically, I remembered my installer mentioning that our Tivo and HD Tivo automatically show up in "Radio" because cable boxes frequently have digital audio stations, and thus are recognized as audio-only sources as well.

Since I was using only one or two functions of the DVD Recorder (again, I'm using it primarily as a switch for some security cameras) I asked my installer to create another Tivo, we called it "Cameras (TiVo)", put the audio and video and IR bindings which mapped to the DVD recorder instead to this new Tivo, copied over the one command w regularly use, and as far as I can tell it's exactly how we want it.

We can now listen to the audio portion of the camera feed even in a non-video zone. Sbutter, I'm curious about your solution above since it will work better in a scenario where I need more of the IR control of the device (i.e. if I did not want to give up my DVD Recorder functionality by identifying the device as a Tivo. So is the "Audio Selector" you called for (as a phantom) the same as an Audio Switch? Or something else?

Thanks!

--Jason

So at which of those stages would it allow you to bind 2 inputs to one output, which is presumably what needs to happen to get the result I'm looking for? Or am I totally missing the point?

I see where I can have 2 devices linked to the same IR controller. And then the CD would be on one input to the imaginary audio switch and the DVD player on another . . . OK, now I get it. Since that switch does not exist, there's never anything to "switch" on it. When I select the CD player it's going to go to the same input on the "actual" C4 audio switch as what I currently have the DVD recorder connected to, and it doesn't matter that C4 thinks it's coming through another switch.

So would Composer require some way to think it's "controlling" that phantom audio switch? Would I need to bind the IR control for the phantom audio switch to something else? And presumably I'd want to use something other than the IR control for my *actual* audio switch or else I'd be issuing commands I don't want to issue . . .

Sorry for all the questions and stream of consciousness, but I'm very interested in your idea!!

--Jason

Correct. The phantom switch is just allowing you to bind the device in the system to the same input. I can't remember if the phantom switch is connected to an IR device. If it will not work without IR binding, then bind to IR for control.

Archived