C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 Home Edition under LINUX

So I'm finally trying to get my copy of HE to run under LINUX. Kinda annoying that a set of hardware based on LINUX has a setup/management tool that requires .net to operate :)

So, has anyone had any success under WINE, MONO, or one of the other tools in terms of getting HE to run?

I've never been able to get it to run under Wine, and Mono is not targetted towards the desktop-type .net apps.

About your best bet at this point is to run VirtualBox or VMWare or QEMU with a copy of Windows XP running in it.

VirtualBox works very well, it even lets you run Windows apps in 'Seamless Mode', which makes the Windows app run alongside the Linux apps without the full 'desktop' having to show.

http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2008/02/01/how-to-do-seamless-window-integration-with-ubuntu-virtualbox/

RyanE

Ryan:

Actually, I tried VirtualBox as well, and wasn't able to get it to run. In fact, it's probably the only application I can recall having a run failure with in VirtualBox.

I'm getting an error on startup that says "Common Language Runtime Debugging Services" Application has generated an exception that cannot be handled.

Any thoughts?

That's what I do now Dan, thx. But I can't help but try to get the darn thing working inside my primary (LINUX) system, it's all part of the fun...

And like I said, given that everything else connected to software and Control4 is LINUX based, I find the fact that I can't seem to get the configuration of it done under LINUX somewhat of a challange :)

So I guess you'll just have to send me Pro then, won't you :)

Seriously, it never gets to the point where it's even loading the "modules", nor do I see the spot where I can select my director. I even went so far as to build another guest instance, reload XP onto it, etc. Still no dice.

Any chance you could stick HE on your box to make sure it works? I'd love to know if it's HE or my VirtualBox instance that's causing the problem.

just virtualized composer in on server 2008 broker and ran it successfully as a "web app" on a linux box, windows box and on a mac... it didnt like softgrid though... (or softgrid didnt like it) the new Web app virtulization in server 08 kicks major booty.

Archived