C4 Forums | Control4

Sunlight/Daylight sensor - what are you using

rsmout

I want to tie a sunlight or daylight sensor into my system to close the blinds when it's sunny but leave them open when it's overcast or when the window is finally in the shade. Are there any products out there that can do this?

I use light sensor on CA motion detector as part of wake up secene. If light is certain level (DARK) then lights in BR come on as part of wake up scene. Works well as far as I can tell.

If you want to detect the difference between cloudy day and sunny day I'm not sure a light sensor will do it. Most light sensors will turn off lights on a cloudy day, but you want your blinds to remain open on a cloudy day.

Solar systems have solar detectors that measure the amount of solar radiation and that's the kind of sensor you'd want. I've seen these as part of solar packages but can't find one right now online but will keep looking.

I'm installing Somfy sun shades in a large window that gets lots of sun. I want it to close when the temperature is high and it is getting too much solar gain, so I'm interested in the same thing.

I do have solar photovoltaic panels on the roof, so I could measure the wattage coming down somehow and use that to tell me how bright the sun is, but haven't quite figured that out as an alternative either. Still in the planning stages but want to figure this one out.

That's good to know - if you can detect the light level that's a smart design.

I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

i use it in the garage, kids never turn the lights out there and play in it a lot. if its >30% light, it doesnt switch lights on with movement, otherwise it does until no movement for 5 minutes. works extremely well

• 2 years later...

Archived