C4 Forums | Control4

Temperature sensors, 1.6 cheering and cheap relay boards :)

willosof

Hi all! :)

I'm back, now with the 1.6 out and everything, i've been reading the driverworks-sdk, and it's fan friggin tastic :)

I hope to get some lua working by the end of this day, and i've ordered some new parts for my system now.

I allready have the http://www.mikroe.com/en/tools/picplc16b/ development board with 16 relays and 16 sensors, so, i'm making a driver for controlling that via ethernet :)

$159 for the board :) Cheap and loveable.

I'm also working on getting my Dallas 1-wire system up and running with control4. I've bought 14 temperature sensors, and i'm hoping to be able to set a variable in director for every temperature in every room of my house. (in time i will add humidity and a pressure sensor as well), so i can run things like..

If livingroomtemp > 20 then

blah :P

:D

Total cost for "control board" and all 14 sensors on norways most expencive electronics shop: $200 (..cheap!!)

More coming! :D

If livingroomtemp > 20 then

blah :P

Willosof, looking at your graphic your house must be freezing all the time! 20 degrees, how do you keep the pipes from bursting?

And yes, everyone, I am joking. :D (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celsius)

In seriousness, though, at what temperature do folks strive to keep a server room? Looks like Willosof's is a cool 70.6 degrees. Mine is not separately air conditioned, I just have fans circulating air through the rack and out through the ceiling, but I'd love to know what constitutes a "safe" temperature for people's electronic equipment.

I like to keep my home at a nice 68F , this includes my computer room and server room.

I hope you live someplace that's already quite cool, or in a pretty compact place! I can't imagine what it would cost to cool our house to 68 (the avg summer temperature here is in the 80s, but we get plenty of them in the 90's). We keep our thermostats generally at ~76. My server closet without the fans running would quickly get to the high 80s or maybe higher (I try not to find out). With the intake and exhaust fans I've installed it keeps it usually right at 80, but occasionally approaches 82.

When I was shopping for exhaust fans for racks I found that many of the thermostatically controlled ones would only kick on at 88 so I'm guessing that 80~82 is well below the electronics danger zone. And I can cool it for pennies a day in electricity versus quite a bit more if I was using an air conditioner in there.

Right now it's one of my 1U rack-servers hooked up to the 1-wire network with a serial port(rs232). Reading values and parsing stuff with perl and graphing done with munin. I was thinking of making a serial driver for the sensors for C4, but. I'm not sure anymore :) I don't think I want to waste my precious CPU power on my lousy C4 HTC (Hey! Donations are allowed. I'm on a low budget :P), which runs my house - on all the things i want to do with the temperature measurements :)

attachment.php?item=114&download=1

Yeah :) Everything it takes.. The black ones are the digital temperature sensors. :)

So.. Yep! :) This is the house: (FYI! :)

35_1715394787.jpg

I like to keep my home at a nice 68F ' date=' this includes my computer room and server room.[/quote']

I hope you live someplace that's already quite cool, or in a pretty compact place! I can't imagine what it would cost to cool our house to 68 (the avg summer temperature here is in the 80s, but we get plenty of them in the 90's). We keep our thermostats generally at ~76. My server closet without the fans running would quickly get to the high 80s or maybe higher (I try not to find out). With the intake and exhaust fans I've installed it keeps it usually right at 80, but occasionally approaches 82.

When I was shopping for exhaust fans for racks I found that many of the thermostatically controlled ones would only kick on at 88 so I'm guessing that 80~82 is well below the electronics danger zone. And I can cool it for pennies a day in electricity versus quite a bit more if I was using an air conditioner in there.

"Maintaining an ambient temperature range of 68° to 75°F (20° to 24°C) is optimal for system reliability. This temperature range provides a safe buffer for equipment to operate in the event of air conditioning or HVAC equipment failure while making it easier to maintain a safe relative humidity level."

"In a data center or computer room, maintaining ambient relative humidity levels between 45% and 55% is recommended for optimal performance and reliability.

When relative humidity levels are too high, water condensation can occur which results in hardware corrosion and early system and component failure. If the relative humidity is too low, computer equipment becomes susceptible to electrostatic discharge (ESD) which can cause damage to sensitive components"

http://www.avtech.com/About/Articles/RA7E/NA/All/-/DD-NN-AN-TN/Recommended_Computer_Room_Temperature_Humidity.htm

:)

Archived