C4 Forums | Control4

HC500 vs HC300

I wanted to get some feedback from some people on what really is the difference between the HC500 and HC 300 other than the HD on the HC500.

For a cost of double for the HC500..........I dont get why its so much more.........a HD? and?

My dealer explained this to me a while back......lol But I forgot !

Feebback?

The HC-500 has 4 relays and 4 contact switches where the HC-300 only has one of each. HC-500 has digital audio in and out port, the HC-300 has none. The HC-500 has 4 serial ports, the HC-300 has only one.The HC-500 has 3 analog audio outputs,the HC-300 only two.

In addition to the items Alan said:

* Larger, more rack-mountable chassis (standard rack width, etc.)

* Hard drive not only gives you storage, but allows you to run larger projects due to swap capability

RyanE

The processor speed and memory is the same, unless you have a huge project, I would think that it should be similar, but if there's any advantage, it obviously would be to the HC500, with the hard driver for swapping, etc...

RyanE

The HC-500 has 4 relays and 4 contact switches where the HC-300 only has one of each. HC-500 has digital audio in and out port, the HC-300 has none. The HC-500 has 4 serial ports, the HC-300 has only one.The HC-500 has 3 analog audio outputs,the HC-300 only two.

300 has 2 serial ports.

The HC-500 has 4 relays and 4 contact switches where the HC-300 only has one of each. HC-500 has digital audio in and out port' date=' the HC-300 has none. The HC-500 has 4 serial ports, the HC-300 has only one.The HC-500 has 3 analog audio outputs,the HC-300 only two.[/quote']

300 has 2 serial ports.

Good catch. Thanks.

• 8 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but why would you want the hc-500? If you need the connectivity (more serial or IR), you could just get two hc-300's for the same price. That way you would also be able to free up resources by only running director on one of them. It seems like that would run a lot faster than one hc-500. You would also gain an analog audio output. And get a USB hard drive if you don't have a NAS or 'always on' PC, those are getting ridiculously cheap.

Hopefully someone can explain this to me.

The hard drive in the HC500 is going to be faster than retrieving data over the USB-attached hard drive in the case that you want to use your controller as the 'NAS drive' for the system.

Yes, you can get a comparable number of inputs on two HC300's, but the HC500 also only takes up a single rack space.

Also, the HC500 has 4 contact inputs, 4 relay outputs, which two 300's is only 2 contacts / 2 relays.

There are certainly cases where two HC300's are a better option, there are also cases when a single HC500 may be preferable.

RyanE

Archived