C4 Forums | Control4

How to create a driver to connect a network device to a proxy

rcprcp

Hi

I'm currently using Control4 with KNX devices, and the integration is flawless, but I've came to a small problem that require some programming skills that I simply don't have.

To connect the Control4 to the KNX network I've used one KNX device (KNX Switch) that allows only one network connection at time, so the Control4 connects to it. But the

problem is that I'would like to connect another device to my KNX network, just to do some testing, but I don't want to disconnect the Control4.

So I thought that I could do a small driver that would allow me to connect to the Control4, and just send all the information to the KNX proxy.

I think it shouldent be so hard, but I didn't figured out how to do everything.

Can someone help me with this?

For now the device that I would like to connect is a phone with a KNX app running on it, So Its just a matter of opening a connection at some port and allow me to connect to it.

Thank

Rodrigo

Rodrigo,

I'd suggest you use a different KNX gateway, which allows multiple connections simultaneously.  I like the HDL IP/Net gateway:

http://www.hdlautomation.com/product/netip-router/

It would be much faster (and probably less expensive in the end) to just use a better gateway than try to hack the KNX Network driver to allow for another KNX/IP Tunnel connection, which would be complicated.

RyanE

RyanE

Thanks for your repply. Unfortunately choosing another gateway is not a viable option, I`m trying to do some testing on some instalation that uses the ABB IP/S gateway that allows only one connection, and the problem is that in my country (Brazil) the prices of all devices (both C4 and KNX) are always expensive, and none of the current customers will want to pay for a new gateway. A gateway that allows more connections (I would use ABB IP/R) costs a little bit more than two times the price of the one we currently use.

And even that hacking the KNX driver came to my mind, I thought on a different aproach that I imagine could be simpler than this, just a driver that accepts a Tunnel connection and sends all communication to the proxy. I may be wrong on how this works, as I'm much more a HW than a SW guy, but it could be a simpler solution that would allow me to do what I want.

My problem could be solved in a different way if Control4 allowed me to display some variables values on the mobile app, it all goes to some customers who have their systems, and want to monitor their electricity consumption, and it's easily done on the KNX, but I don`t have a good way to show the values on the C4, so I have to use another app to do this.

Thanks

Rodrigo

The KNX 'network' driver was not meant to be a passthrough, accepts no network connections, and if it did, the driver would have to be a *lot* more complicated than it is now.

There are no plans to extend the KNX Network driver to support incoming KNX IP/Tunnelling connections.

I suppose you could install 2 inexpensive gateways, instead of removing the current one and buying the 'expensive' one, but Control4 will not support a KNX installation with a modified KNX Network driver.

RyanE

RyanE

Thanks for your feedback. So now I know that I'll not spend time trying to create a driver anymore.

And just as a small feedback, the KNX integration with C4 is perfect, thanks to all C4 team.

Rodrigo

Archived