C4 Forums | Control4

3 way switch install help

I am trying to wire a dimmer and 3 way button in a 3 way switch scenario.  I have very little experience with wiring but have been following the instructions.  The dimmer works but the 3 way button does appear to have power until I turn on the lights, defeating the entire purpose.  I know I am wiring something wrong but can't figure it out. 

I have red, green, white, and 2 blacks in each both.  Both appear to wired the same.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, etrochez said:

Which of the 2 locations is feeding the load and which one has power?

I was trying to use a 3 button keypad and a dimmer.  I think the side with the dimmer has the power.  I tried multiple configurations but could not get the 3 button keypad to get power.  I currently installed two dimmers at each side (which is very wrong) and when I turn on the light through the dimmer, the second dimmer powers on but when I turn off the power, the other dimmer goes dark.  The wiring is definitely messed up but I literally tried every potential configuration.  They appear to have the same wires in each box.  

Any assistance would really be appreciated as wife is already not happy with me.  Thank you.

Auxiliary Keypad looks like a regular dimmer, but it's only use on a 3-way situation, it's a dumb switch. If the keypad you have has 3 buttons, then it's a Configurable Keypad. Follow my instructions above, it should work. 

Thanks. I will take another shot at this. 

Just to be clear, what are the connections for the 3 button keypad?  My original problem was that the 3 button keypad was not getting any power to even turn on. 

Ok.  Re-wired everything.  Got power to both but light does not go on.  Tried to connect all three blacks together in 3 button keypad box and light goes on but keypad powers off when dimmer goes down.  

I know I am close but still a little far. 

the light will not go on from the keypad until you program it. There should be only one Black wire from the dimmer box going to the keypad, and one white wire from the dimmer box to the keypad. Keypad should have only two wires connected to it. Black and white, these two wires come from the power line going into the dimmer box. 

I just wanted to give a big shoutout to etrochez.  He walked me through the entire process and got it to work.  I am so very grateful for his help!  My wife is also extremely grateful as  divorce was pending if the lights did not get completed!  

THANK YOU AGAIN!

Archived