C4 Forums | Control4

MAC Address authentication

I am trying to put a wireless speaker point on to my wireless network. I'm running Cisco Aironet 1130AG's using WPA-2. I'm well aware of the fact that the speakerpoints do not support this, although I can not figure out why a software update relesease just last month would not support it. So my question is this. Can I get these devices on the network using MAC authentication? If so, where do I get the MAC address of the wireless port in the speakerpoint. I am assuming like most other devices, it is different from the wired port.

I am trying to put a wireless speaker point on to my wireless network. I'm running Cisco Aironet 1130AG's using WPA-2. I'm well aware of the fact that the speakerpoints do not support this, although I can not figure out why a software update relesease just last month would not support it. So my question is this. Can I get these devices on the network using MAC authentication? If so, where do I get the MAC address of the wireless port in the speakerpoint. I am assuming like most other devices, it is different from the wired port.

Have the speakerpoint connect to the 1130 via WEP only, no MAC authentication. On the 1130 web interface, look at the tab that lists clients, the MAC address is there, add it the MAC authentication page. Enable the MAC ACL on the 1130 and you're done.

And I would strongly suggest you firewall all your C4 gear that uses WEP, it's a easy way into your network.

The problem is that on the 1130, when I turn on WEP, it requires that I turn off WPA. This isn't an option for me.

ok, since you're already running WPA on the 1130, how are you planning to add the speakerpoint then? How's MAC authentication going to help? (What am I missing?)

On the 1130s you can have as many SSIDs as you want but only one authentication method.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived