C4 Forums | Control4

Control TV for Games console use

Hi,

I've just bought a Wii games console and have it connected to a 42" LG plasma. The Wii cable is connected to the AV3 input. Currently I'm having to switch the TV on manually, press the input button, scroll about and change from the Component signal (which my Control4 is using) to the AV3 input. Then when the kids have finished playing Sonic and Mario games, I have to repeat the process so my C4 signal comes on screen.

I thought I could use the "*" or "#" buttons on my system remote and have been able to power up the TV while not selecting any of my C4 sources; but now I'm stuck. How can I use the system remote to control the TV's input menu ?? I've tried various commands but they don't do anything?

My C4 gear and all other equipment is stored in a room several feet away from the room with the Wii and LG TV.

Can anyone help me out ?

yep.

http://www.c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?id=2001

neil12011 wrote:

"funny you should mention it because this is how I have mine setup for my wii..works PERFECTLY.....run green to video sense input...then out to the receiver...have never had a problem...In fact, this actually works best for the wii because the wii standby will mess with a "power sense" type setup using an outlet switch...I have always used the component video sense for the wii and even hooked one up without it to check side by side video quality, and there is no quality loss...I wouldnt' put it in a customers home if it didn't work...owned"

with this setup, all you have to do, is press the power on the wii controller, and everything will switch on. When you turn the power off, it will go back to the "4" menu....This works great, and all you need is the wii controller anda female to female rca adaptor. Let me know if you need anymore help

mmm, I'm not sure whether I know what you mean, I didn't want to mess about with the cables. I've just used Composer HE to set-up some custom buttons which navigate their way through my Netgear EVA8000 menus so I can play various internet Radio stations (lots of up, up, select, down, down etc commands). I thought I could do the same with my TV. I can get it to power up, but then none of the "send command" orders work. Ideally I'd like to program the shortcut button on my mini touch screen (for the Wii room) to power up the TV & select the TVs AV3 input (Wii cable). Then when I press it again (with a 2 second pause) it would select the TV's component input (so I can view C4 stuff next time) and switch the TV off.

We have had a house built and during construction each room was installed with: Cat5 points, RGB component Video wallplates, inline dimmers. 6 or 3 button keypads. 3 rooms have mini touch screens and we have 2 system remotes. In our equipment room we have a C4 matric switcher, C4 ampifier (with cd slot), Sky Satellite reciever, Feeview (terestrial TV) reciever, Tranquil Home Server, 2 x Netgear EVA 8000, patch panel etc

The wall hung LG plasma we have the Wii connected to is connected to my C4 system by the RGB component cables, and an IR transmitter is stuck to the front of the TV to switch the TV on and off. I was hoping that if the C4 system can power up the TV why can't it select the input menu so I can swap from C4's component input to the Wii's composite AV input and back.

I'm sorry, please give me more details of what I should be posting. Do you mean the Script I've tried already or something else ? Also I was going to try and post an image of the script but couldn't see any options on how to upload the image ?

I have a wii connected on the av matrix. I simply created a new driver (think i used generic dvd player) and set the inputs accordingly. Now, I simply just choose it from the c4 nav screen.

Is there a reason why you would not want it setup like that?

I did the same thing..........works great. I guess I dont understand why anyone would set it up differently.

When you say "connected on the av matrix" what cable do you use, what is the distance from av matrix to the Wii, is the Wii in the same room as the av matrix.

The Wii was an after thought and is located in a room several feet away from my equipment room. If the Wii was located in the equipment room would the controllers still work?

My wii is located in the closet with the rest of my rack. It is tied in the the av matrix switches so that I can play it in any room in the house. It works well, only lags a little when I take it outside on the lanai tv. Being able to turn on/off the wii with the remote is nice as well. So i just select it from the C4 navigation.

You don't have to have it on a matrix switch however, simply create the connections to the appropriate a/v inputs on the TV in composer and C4 does the rest for you. You will probably also want to remove it from other TV's navigators since it is hooked up to a single TV.

P.S. You can get a wireless IR receiver for the wii as well so that it's easy to go from room to room. Just keep a good amount of spare batteries on hand for it and the remotes!

Archived