C4 Forums | Control4

Serial Port Debugging

Hey folks. I've got a serial port connection to my DSC Security system. The power went out one day and the integration with the security stopped working.

I've tried recreating the connections in composer, removing and adding the security system, changed the IT-100 card on the security system and tried both Serial 1 and Serial 2 on the HC300. None of these options has fixed the issue.

I'm wondering if someone out there has some basic commands (like echo commands) to ensure that the Serial port on the HC300 is functional.

We've had a few of these IT-100 modules die... in each case replacing them fixed the problem.

To be sure - check the serial connections between HC-300 and the IT-100. If that looks good and snug - have your security guy replace it.

Hey slemay,

I've already tried replacing the IT-100 module with a brand new one - that didn't work.

I've checked the serial port connection and everything is screwed on for both ends of the connection.

If I had some debug commands to send I could connect with my laptop and send the commands to ensure the prot is functional on the HC300. Having replaced the IT-100 module it's either a mouse ate through the serial cable or the HC300 is fried. I'm just waiting for 25' serial cable to bypass the cable to see if that's the problem but in the mean time it would be great if I could connect up to the HC serially and send a few test commands.

It is a Linux environment - so you can telnet into it and send commands to the serial port that way - but I'm not a Linux guru - so I have no clue how to do that - sorry. BUT - if you've changed ports - I doubt that's it. There are debugging options in Composer for the alarm panel - and one of those is watching the serial activity - so you can see what's being received / sent etc...

• 1 year later...

^I bet at some point you removed power to the board? Yes, the core is good engineering practice but some of us have tried direct-connection to the HC with same results.

Bottom-line work-around is to R&R power (Last wire on the block works) to the IT-100. I have mine on a relay tied to the HC contact. C4 knows about this but that doesn't mean much i guess.

Archived