C4 Forums | Control4

Fan Speed Controller

djb28

Hey all, I have seen some posts on this topic but nothing that drives the clarity I am looking for.  I am looking to use the C4 wireless fan speed controller on a project but it is not really clear what fans will work best with it.  Yes, I understand it does not control the light and does not work well when the fan has another variable fan speed controller.  All I hear is "use a dumb fan" and you will be fine.  

What I would like to know is how the C4 controller actually varies the speed of the motor/fan.  Most motors don't do well when you vary the voltage (thus why fans don't work well with dimmers).  So how does the controller work?  Does it change the current supplied at different levels?  Does it change frequency (doubt it)?

Do induction AC motors work best or DC motors?  Or can someone who has this working give me the spec of the fan they are using?  From that I can look at the type of motor used.  

I don't understand why C4 does not make the clearer beyond the max load for the controller.

Thanks!

Archived