C4 Forums | Control4

Network Drive Shares

I am having difficulty with windows networking in relation to the C4 network drive shares. The C4 portion works fine, but I am having sporatic connectivity issues in windows. I was wondering if anyone had experienced difficulty viewing network drive shares while running Norton Internet Security: meaning, when I open my computer and view my network places, only the HT Controller shows up. I had changed the workgroup name, turned off NIS, and re-ran the network drive wizard, and the shares showed up again, but this was the 2nd time I had needed to do this in the last 2 weeks. Any suggestions, ideas? I know windows networking is nothing complicated, but it seems like this laptop (my work laptop) has increased difficulty with it. I am running WinXPHome, SP2, with Norton I.S. 2k5.

I'm almost positive it's Norton Internet Security. It has quite rigid protection.

Try disabling it (right-click the icon in the tray) and running your tests again. Let me know if that resolves your issue, and i'll try and help you move forward from there.

Norton Internet Security is horrible... Their AV is great but putting an additional firewall on a computer is just asking for end user issues. Standard users don't understand packet filtering and tcp requests. What a desktop firewall is good at protecting is bad outbound requests typically found in viruses and spyware. But if you have Spyware and Virus protection running constantly this solves that problem.

From our experiences a machine behind a Router/Firewall should not have an additional firewall running besides the standard Windows XP firewall. You should have great AV & Anti-Spyware running at all times (Webroot, TrendMicro)

Firewalls on machines not plugged directly into the internet 8 out of 10 times is unecessary.

I'm hoping this isn't taken in the wrong context... This rule does not necessarily apply to certain servers, machines in a DMZ zone, and to just re-iterate machines plugged directly into a Cable Modem, DSL, or T1...

Dan

Rob I would just add an exception in the Norton firewall on the pc sharing the music with the IP address of your laptop or an IP address range that your laptop may receive from DHCP. By adding this exception, you are not completely removing the entire firewall functionality from the pc sharing the files, just an exception for approved systems. McAfee/AVG/Avast all have ways to add IP exclusions to firewalls if needed.

You can open Norton - click on Norton Security - Click Norton Firewall - Click Configure - Click Network Tab, and add your laptop IP address or a range of IP addresses that Norton should consider safe.

Just some thoughts if you have any future issues with firewalls...

• 3 weeks later...

Need to open (Allow) ports: 80,81,8081

I agree that Norton Internet Security is horrible and wish we wouldn't have to deal with it, but we don't want nto be responsible for the content and security of our clients security... :/

Need to open (Allow) ports: 80,81,8081

I am not sure why you would open those ports up innovative2k. If it is in relation to Control4, then there is no need. Neither the controller nor Composer use such ports. If it is in relation to the original question, then the ports to open should be:

1) Ideally 445 (TCP) - This is the newer form of SMB sharing for NT/2k/XP/2k3

2) 139 (TCP)

3) 138 (UDP)

4) 137 (UDP) - These three (points 2-4) is what 95/98/ME uses. This will be used if 445 fails.

Control4 seems to use the 139/138/137 combo.

BTW. (Norton == rubbish) I personally use Agnitum Outpost firewall. One of the best firewalls 'cos it lets you define rules per application. You can make a system tighter than @#$@%. (There's no need for profanity - but you get the idea).

Has anyone been having difficulty with speed? My client has 14000 songs (92 gig) sitting on a Maxtor external network drive. I'm not sure yet what the problem is but everything here is sporatic. I cannot for the life of me make this system stable in terms of time to load songs, time it takes to view the list of song (say albums), I cannot make the system consistantly stable in any sense. Yesterday, I had every MTS working (9 in all) but today when you try and look for music, the list of available artists comes up blank. The network drive is online but i'll be damned. I have to refresh navigators like every couple of hours. It takes 30 seconds to load the media (when it loads at all) and i'm completely frustrated!

So, is there a limit to network drive space? I'm using a Maxtor 300gig external network drive as per my reps suggestion. What gives?

So, is there a limit to network drive space? I'm using a Maxtor 300gig external network drive as per my reps suggestion. What gives?

Is the drive exclusive to C4 ? Because when some other application access the drive - it can make C4 to wait in line.

i was having a problem with my pc getting mail(outlook), using most internet downloading installs, finally it took out my itunes- would not even load up. i uninstalled norton internet and everything was back up and running. I got the program with the computer and said he i have the norton virus program, lets not use it and let this run instead as it was preloaded. big mistake. now i loaded norton anti-virus and am sooo much happier- well at least ui can listen to music while i pull my hair with c4 :)

jay

• 2 years later...
Has anyone been having difficulty with speed? My client has 14000 songs (92 gig) sitting on a Maxtor external network drive. I'm not sure yet what the problem is but everything here is sporatic. I cannot for the life of me make this system stable in terms of time to load songs, time it takes to view the list of song (say albums), I cannot make the system consistantly stable in any sense. Yesterday, I had every MTS working (9 in all) but today when you try and look for music, the list of available artists comes up blank. The network drive is online but i'll be damned. I have to refresh navigators like every couple of hours. It takes 30 seconds to load the media (when it loads at all) and i'm completely frustrated!

I'm having the same issue and really need help. I'm pretty new to C4, and am having second thoughts here if it can't handle a large music library properly.

I have a NAS drive sitting on my gigabit network. It has 2 mirrored 500GB 7200RPM SATA drives in it formatted in FAT32. There's no security involved to put a bump in the road either.

When I attached to my music folder, it worked, no credentials need of course, no problem. I ran the scan to grab all the music. To scan the folder of around 10,000 songs (~50GB) it took about 4-5 hours. As I was more than willing to accept that kine of time cause I I shouldn't have to do it very often, and really didn't know what to expect anyway.

Once it had finished, it probably only indexed 60% of all the music I had on there. Now I read that it won't index AAC/M4P/etc, but 99% of what I have is MP3. With that said, I tried to play any of the music that it DID index, and couldn't play a single note from a single song.and I could tell that it wasn't even trying to access the NAS box. Outside of that, the wait to bring up the list of albums/artists/genre is like watching paint dry. Maybe it's because it's has to bring up a long list, but still is far from what we should have to wait for.

I then removed that Network File Location and readded another and pointed it to a folder with about 50 songs in it. It scanned fine and I was able to play music without issue.

I guess I'm wondering if maybe there's a limit to the amount of songs it can index? File size?

If I attached a drive via USB right to the box, would it perform better?

This is a huge part of why I bought this system. I had a SONOS system before this, but wanted the extra automation features with C4.

Is there any suggestions anyone can offer on this?

With media stores that large, you should look into a HC1000 to speed up things considerably. This will help the speed on the remotes/OSD/touchpanels. As for the rest, I'll have to think about it for a sec to see if anything sticks out.

Whoa...that seems a bit excessive. At this point, I only planned to have the HC300, 1 Wifi Speaker Point, the 4 zone amplifier, and possibly add a few light switches and a control pad. You think I need to go to a device that is over 4 times the cost just to get the music to index correctly?

What about hanging a drive off the HC300 itself? Does anyone have experience with that?

You have a heck of a lot of media, and browsing the coverart is going to be slow. Of course, "slow" is different for me than you and everyone else.

For grins and giggles, try hanging the drive directly from the HC300. Friend of mine does his that way and it's ok with ~4,000 songs. But you still have to "wait" for the media to load on remotes and on the gui. I use a terastation on my HC300 on a 100mb connection and do have a similar "delay" but you have to remember the amount of data thats being read.

Here's what RyanE has to say about the HC-1000

http://www.c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?pid=14484#p14484

Now, the first thing after trying the drive local to the HC300 would be to have your dealer enable logging to take a look at the system and see how it's being taxed. At that point, they may recommend you have a seperate HC300 for director, and one running everything else.

It may also be a network piece that's slowing you down. What equipment do you have on the network? Is jumbo frames supported?

The sonos ZP performs a scan of 10k+ tracks on a NAS in roughly 3 minutes as opposed to my HC300 which takes several hours. The former has a SH-4 embedded linux processor in it and it works quite well. Is there a design limitation in the C4 software that causes track scans to perform so poorly ?

For grins and giggles, try hanging the drive directly from the HC300. Friend of mine does his that way and it's ok with ~4,000 songs. But you still have to "wait" for the media to load on remotes and on the gui. I use a terastation on my HC300 on a 100mb connection and do have a similar "delay" but you have to remember the amount of data thats being read.

What I don't get is this delay thing. I understand that it has to load the data to the remote each time which causes the delay, but why? Like dgbrown suggests, the SONOS is nice and quick. Could the issue just be a design flaw/limitation in the way it's processing it? (ie: transferring data then processing it on the remote vs. running it all server side and accessing just what it needs to display from the 'client')

It may also be a network piece that's slowing you down. What equipment do you have on the network? Is jumbo frames supported?

OK, so ny NAS drive was in need of a firmware upgrade, which gave me the Jumbo Frames support. I got that all set to 9000, but how do I set the HC300 to do the same? I see in the system settings that it's currently set to 1500, but nowhere to change it. Is it even possible?

What I don't get is this delay thing. I understand that it has to load the data to the remote each time which causes the delay, but why? Like dgbrown suggests, the SONOS is nice and quick. Could the issue just be a design flaw/limitation in the way it's processing it? (ie: transferring data then processing it on the remote vs. running it all server side and accessing just what it needs to display from the 'client')

Again, I dont know enough about this to answer your question, sorry.

OK' date=' so ny NAS drive was in need of a firmware upgrade, which gave me the Jumbo Frames support. I got that all set to 9000, but how do I set the HC300 to do the same? I see in the system settings that it's currently set to 1500, but nowhere to change it. Is it even possible?[/quote']

I was more specifically referring to any switches or routers that you may have in between the NAS and the HC300.

I was more specifically referring to any switches or routers that you may have in between the NAS and the HC300.

Well, if I can't set my HC300 to use jumbo frames, what relevance does any other switches/routers/devices have in this equation?

Well' date=' if I can't set my HC300 to use jumbo frames, what relevance does any other switches/routers/devices have in this equation?[/quote']

You can see in other threads where people have had any number of issues with their systems which were caused by "seemingly unrelated" network equipment.

• 2 weeks later...
You can see in other threads where people have had any number of issues with their systems which were caused by "seemingly unrelated" network equipment.

Do you have any links to these threads you can give me? I searched around and didn't really find anything.

I'd like to look through them before I return this stuff back to my dealer. I really would like this to work, but from what I've experienced and what I've heard from other dealers as this being a common problem, I'm open to reunboxing this equipment and having a reason to give it another go.

Do you have any links to these threads you can give me? I searched around and didn't really find anything.

I'd like to look through them before I return this stuff back to my dealer. I really would like this to work, but from what I've experienced and what I've heard from other dealers as this being a common problem, I'm open to reunboxing this equipment and having a reason to give it another go.

I'll find the threads and link you.

Archived