C4 Forums | Control4

hc-500 will not restore

I have (had) an HC-1000/500 system.  My HC-1000 crashed while trying to add a Roku driver (see post from yesterday).

My original system was only an HC-500.  I added an HC-1000 as a director in order to update to 2.8.0 to add newer touch screens and a Roku driver which is only supported by 2.8.0.  This has worked fine for almost a year, until yesterday, when I was trying to add another Roku driver as I mentioned above.

I have been trying to restore my system to where it was before I added the HC-1000 to get most of my house's functionality back.

I did a USB restore to 2.2.4 on the HC-500 and that worked fine.  While trying to downgrade all my other controllers (4x HC-200) from 2.8.0 in order to get my Zigbee functionality back, I realized that I don't have a licence for 2.2.4 so I can't do that.  I do have a licence for 2.5.3 and tried to do a USB restore to that rev.

That didn't work. the restore hangs no matter what I try.  I've watched the progress on video.  It goes through the motions and gets stuck showing  the MAC and IP address...

I'm having one bad weekend!  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Interesting...  it crashed while I was simply dragging a new instance of the driver into my project.

Yes, I have heard of a HC-250 as an alternative.  They are still quite pricey though.

My 2nd biggest issue right now, which I have posted in a separate thread, while trying to restore my HC-500 system prior to the addition of the HC-1000, I seem to have locked up the HC-500.  I have done a USB restore on this a bunch of times with no trouble.  While trying to restore it to 2.5.3, it has locked up with the wi-fi and power light solid.  During the boot up it gets to a point where it displays the MAC and IP addresses and then locks up.  The only encouraging thing is that I can still ping it.  So, it might show up in Composer when I try again with another HC-1000 which is on the way.

Failing all that, I probably will go with a HC-250 or go for broke and get a HC-800.

Thanks for your input. 

I'm not sure that's definitely what happened but have seen a few corrupted controllers that were full on memory. 

Not 100% on older controllers but the new ones actually have 2 copies on the project on there so if an error is found, it can attempt to self correct.

If you have a good back up copy, I've always been able to restore them by clearing the project (in your case factory restore) power cycling  and then reloading. 

But also keep in mind that these controllers were not built for what's out today. youre basically asking a 5-10 year old computer to run software that was built for a much higher powered machine. 

Humm, assuming you mean a factory restore is a usb creator restore, no luck there.  Is there another way?

So when you mean full on memory, do you mean physical RAM?  That would be easy to add, assuming an Atom can address more than 1 GB, which I believe it can.

Never mind the HC-1000, this is where I am very frustrated with the HC-500, there is no reason why the usb restore should not work!

Archived