C4 Forums | Control4

Dns

I was watching our installer set up some new equipemnt and the DNS was different for different devices.

Is DNS required for each controller/navigator ? In System Manager Under DNS Servers, Using DHCP=No, What should the DNS server address be set to ?

Our router has the DNS set to the Comcast supplied ip address's.

Yes every control device talks to the internet someway, so it does need a dns for every ip device.

If you go to start, run, and type cmd (hit enter). Then type ipconfig /all you can find your dns there.

I also use one from an open dns to be safe: 208.67.222.222 or 208.67.220.220 provided from http://www.opendns.com/

Best pratice would be to set the first one to the gateway of the router, the second one to the isp, and the third one to the opendns provided above.

Yes every control device talks to the internet someway, so it does need a dns for every ip device.

If you go to start, run, and type cmd (hit enter). Then type ipconfig /all you can find your dns there.

I also use one from an open dns to be safe: 208.67.222.222 or 208.67.220.220 provided from http://www.opendns.com/

Best pratice would be to set the first one to the gateway of the router, the second one to the isp, and the third one to the opendns provided above.

Ditto what Matt stated..

I thought that's what I stated:)..

Comcast Dns seems to go out often enough that is why I add an additional open Dns.

If you use the router IP as the DNS you're relying on the router to pass the correct information on to the controller. This in turn has caused update issues. Your better off using your ISP's DNS server IPs at a minimum and then, like others have said, a verified open DNS server.

You can find your ISP DNS information in your router's status screen (or whatever it may be called in your brand's software) and typically if you have a PC set up to use DHCP you can find the DNS information in the command prompt using the command ipconfig /all.

4.2.2.2 is also a great tool for troubleshooting, as are any other open DNS servers. This way you can test when you don't seem to have internet access if your ISP's DNS server is working correctly.

Archived