C4 Forums | Control4

Howto access commands for devices.

fdastoor

How can I see and access the various commands available for a device that must exist in that devices driver.

For example in device events window if I click on Blu-ray player the only command available is Power_State. Many of the commands are built into the remote [such as play, stop, etc.] but there is no button on the remote to open the tray. Where can I find the Open/Close command to attach to a programmable button.

Also what if I wanted to use the Open/close commandto trigger other events such as turn on lights etc.

Does the dealer have the ability to reveal only limited commands and hide the rest.

I have noticed that this is the situation with other devices too such as TV and receiver.

Before I take up this matter with the dealer I would like to be informed on what is possible foe me as an end user.

I like to program. I am also fully aware that anything I do that requires the dealer to correct is my fault and I am willing to pay for it. But, most importantly I truly want to understand how Control4 works and how to utilise it to its maximum.

Thanks

When you click on a device in the *left* pane, you see it's *events*. Of course, for an IR-controlled device it will not have any events, other than the power state, which could be controlled by video sense or power sense, if no discrete on / off commands existed for that device.

To see *commands*, you click the device on the *right* pane, and commands are in the bottom right pane.

Typically for IR devices, there are a 'set' of commands, and down at the bottom of that set, there's a dropdown, called 'Emit Code', which should list *all* IR codes that have been learned in for the device.

RyanE

RyanE

thanks for the explanation. Why do 'IR' devices not have events? What types of devices do have events ... serial controlled only?

Serially-controlled devices that implement two-way communications with feedback (security panels, HVAC systems, etc.) have events.

Network (ethernet) devices have events.

Zigbee devices have events.

Basically, anything that's 2-way, and gives feedback for the Control4 system to fire an event on.

RyanE

Archived