C4 Forums | Control4

newb emails question

I understand you can program c4 software to send you email alerts

eg "if cellar temp > x"...send email.

However can the user send c4 an email command?

eg "report cellar temp" which would then generate an email status response "current cellar temp = x"

Is this sort of email logic control of c4 available? If so can a user set this up, or is this one for the installer?

Thanks for all the help.:)

Do you mean remotely send the command? Or from inside the house can you press a button and have the email sent?

If the former, then yes but it's tricky. If the latter then absolutely yes. You can use any button or any event at all to trigger any other action. So you could have a button, or a variable, or a switch or whatever fire off the routine which generates and sends the cellar temp email.

What are you currently using to populate the email? Is it sending you the exact temp? Or just telling you, "Cellar is below xx degrees"?

--Jason

Thanks for the reply....

I mean remotely.

I want to set up a c4 thermostat in the cellar to record and broadcast realtime temp.

Then I want to somehow find out what the temp is at any given time from a remote location.

Ideally I'd like to do this via an sms command. I can get sms control of my alarm panel (to send a "trigger" to an external device). Second best would be sending in an email command (as long as c4 software can respond to incoming email commands) As a last resort I suppose I could "log on", but I want remote access for this purpose using an iphone (though it's GUI is pretty good, it's still pretty small)

I any case I don't have static IP on my WAN, and I'm (still) not convinced of the security of setting up remote access to c4. That's why I'm after an sms or email approach. I'd be happy to be persuaded otherwise.......

Alan Chow has written a driverworks POP3 email driver. If you are running version 1.6 you could use this driver to query your mailbox and look for an email with known subject line and have the system fire off an email to your SMS provider.

Thanks for the reply....

Second best would be sending in an email command (as long as c4 software can respond to incoming email commands)

To find out what the temp is at any given moment you will have to trigger the C4 system to send you the temp via SMS. One way you will do this is to send the C4 system an email. the C4 system will look for this email and when it sees the email the C4 system will get the temp and send another email to your SMS provider. For the C4 system to see the email you will have to query your email box and this is what the POP3 driver does.

Thanks for the reply....

I any case I don't have static IP on my WAN, and I'm (still) not convinced of the security of setting up remote access to c4. That's why I'm after an sms or email approach. I'd be happy to be persuaded otherwise.......

You need to setup remote access (A.K.A. 4Sight) for C4 to be able to send email.

Archived