C4 Forums | Control4

Dead Amp?

jesh

Had a nice wake up call around 2 in the morning with one of my zones randomly playing bits and pieces of radio...

Anyhow, went downstairs and the c4 amp is making 'ticking' noises, and was constantly rebooting (was stuck on 'Initializing')...

Am taking it this thing is blown?

• 1 month later...

As far as your amp, you'll have to find a dealer to go through the process of getting a power supply replaced. Unfortunately, they're not a standard PC-style power supply or other easily-available unit.

Sorry.

As far as your dimmer issue, are you sure you're not over-driving your dimmers? They can certainly get warm to the touch, but obviously should not be so hot that you're concerned that they'll catch fire.

How many watts do you have on the load of the dimmer that was hot? Is it ganged with other dimmers in the wall box? Control4 dimmers are 1000W dimmers, but as you install them with other loads in a box, you must derate the dimmer's capacity as you break off the side tabs. I believe it's 1000W with both side tabs, 800W with one side's tabs removed, and 600W with both sides' tabs removed.

So, if it's in a box by itself, 1000W max. If it's sharing a box with another dimmer, 800W max. If it's in between two other Control4 devices in a box, 600W max. This isn't a Control4 thing, either. All electronic dimmers must be derated if they're installed in the same j-box with other dimmers.

RyanE

As far as your amp, you'll have to find a dealer to go through the process of getting a power supply replaced. Unfortunately, they're not a standard PC-style power supply or other easily-available unit.

Sorry.

As far as your dimmer issue, are you sure you're not over-driving your dimmers? They can certainly get warm to the touch, but obviously should not be so hot that you're concerned that they'll catch fire.

How many watts do you have on the load of the dimmer that was hot? Is it ganged with other dimmers in the wall box? Control4 dimmers are 1000W dimmers, but as you install them with other loads in a box, you must derate the dimmer's capacity as you break off the side tabs. I believe it's 1000W with both side tabs, 800W with one side's tabs removed, and 600W with both sides' tabs removed.

So, if it's in a box by itself, 1000W max. If it's sharing a box with another dimmer, 800W max. If it's in between two other Control4 devices in a box, 600W max. This isn't a Control4 thing, either. All electronic dimmers must be derated if they're installed in the same j-box with other dimmers.

RyanE

I've found another dealer that i can contact that is not to far away... hopefully they can restore and upgrade my software as well. I've had a real bummer of a dealer here, he inherited the business from a brother in law and is not real anxious to adopt an install he had little to do with... that is my biggest beef with "Control" 4, very dealer dominant.

As to the dimmer. It was at the high end of its ability at 600w, and should not have over heated even though it was in a 2 gang box with a 800w load on the other Toggle switch.

thanks for your input.

Do you know what the cost should be on the power supply replacement?

I've found another dealer that i can contact that is not to far away... hopefully they can restore and upgrade my software as well. I've had a real bummer of a dealer here, he inherited the business from a brother in law and is not real anxious to adopt an install he had little to do with... that is my biggest beef with "Control" 4, very dealer dominant.

I'm sorry to hear you've had dealer issues. Dealers can be both Control4's strength and weakness. We really have some *great* dealers, I wish they all were, obviously.

Do you know what the cost should be on the power supply replacement?

Unfortunately, I don't know the current policy and pricing for those sorts of repairs.

Hope things go well for you.

RyanE

Archived