C4 Forums | Control4

Best practices for keeping it all organized?

jbs

I'm an enthusiastic fan of Composer HE and the tremendous control it puts in the hands of individual users. A major selling point for me in choosing Control.

The programming "language" is very intuitive in the sense that you're browsing the rooms and contents of your house, dragging and dropping things into place . . . very little arcane coding beyond learning a few different terms.

One thign I do find challenging is the lack of any single comprehensive view of what's "in" my program. I am aware of the export tool that TLeish has, and I wish something like that were accessible from within Composer. As it is, there are so many thousands of sub-items within the program that could contain commands that it's very difficult to be sure you've checked everywhere.

This becomes an issue when, for example, I go through my variables and can't recall whether I'm still actually using a variable that's in there or if it's obsolete and safe to remove. I'd love to hear how other user/dealers name or organize the elements of their program and keep it all logical.

I'll repeat one technique I posted about here:

http://www.c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?pid=14579#p14579:

I only have a few instances where a button is bound to a light. In each of those cases, I added a line of code as follows:

screenshot6ul5ff4.jpg

By jbsjbs

I never use the variable for anything, but it's a nice clean and simple way to add comments in the code.

--Jason

Other ideas to keep this all straight while our brains inevitably get one day older each day? :D:D

--Jason

something I do is a comment within the variable. the actual variable will have a name and then in parentheses, what it does.

All off(turns system off if equal to zero)

I've started doing this that way the comment is part of the actual variable.

Archived