C4 Forums | Control4

Thermostat Power Question

sfpooh

I had my HVAC guy wire 2 Tstats in the house today. I am not yet connected into the Control4 system, so they are operating as independent thermostats at this time. He ran common wires to each stat because I read on the forums how that is the preferred method over battery. A couple issues / questions: 1) he mentioned that there is no connector on the block for a common wire. Also, 2) after he wired them up, the furnace in both zones kicked on and ran, however there was nothing on the LCD's. As soon as I installed batteries, the LCD's lit up and worked fine. Is there a special method of wiring the Tstats so that they use common wire power for everything? Any referance docs? Tips, thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I had my HVAC guy wire 2 Tstats ... 1) he mentioned that there is no connector on the block for a common wire.

There is a connection for the common wire it is the terminal marked TS/C. The t-stat includes a wiring diagram so your HVAC guy should have 2 copies to read. Make sure he also sets the switches in the t-stat to the correct settings based on the type of heating system you have. These settings are also in the included install instructions.

• 1 year later...

I have just installed a gas fireplace. I ran cat 6 to the unit. Now what? Any suggestions? My plan was to hook up a c4 thermostat having it run on battery power.

After reading a few prior posts even in best case scenario of a 2 month battery life is not to good. How else can I power the t-stat? I could run the cat 6 wire to my controller and have it turn on/ off as a relay but then no temp control.

Advise Please?

Matt

I have just installed a gas fireplace. I ran cat 6 to the unit. Now what? Any suggestions? My plan was to hook up a c4 thermostat having it run on battery power.

After reading a few prior posts even in best case scenario of a 2 month battery life is not to good. How else can I power the t-stat? I could run the cat 6 wire to my controller and have it turn on/ off as a relay but then no temp control.

Advise Please?

Matt

Get a transformer for an HVAC system and run the t-stat off the transformer. Cat-5 is not the best wire to use for a t-stat.

Advise Please?

Matt

Get a transformer for an HVAC system and run the t-stat off the transformer. Cat-5 is not the best wire to use for a t-stat.

Thanks

Well then if I purchase the transformer for the t-stat, Can I run the cat 5 to the controller and have the t-stat open and close the relay?

Matt

Archived