C4 Forums | Control4

Companies without DC's Suck!

SuperiorDan

Guest Jim Gist

I love this idea and I'll make the buttons and shirts if you guys will wear them.

Hit all the forums and build the group and let's do it at CEDIA!

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
...and why the heck don't manufacturers add a stupid little IR receiver jack on the back of their equipment--no more need for emitters c'mon!!!!

I second that. That's another reason why I love onkyo receivers. More reliable and look WAY better.

• 2 weeks later...

This would take some work, but I am all over the idea of a site with a "black list" of manufacturers and their products by model number that do not have discreet codes. Hell, it could be taken a little further with each manufacturer being given a score/grade based on the number of components they offer with descrete IR codes and possibly serial control. Could you imagine the impact a list like this could have on motivating manufacturers to include discrete IR & serial drivers? In addition to awards for manufacturers like Integra with discretes, there should be "toilet bowl" awards for products/manufacturers without discretes.

You guys say the word and we're in. We have plenty of servers and bandwidth to support the site. All we need is everyone to maintain it.

I'd approach the people at RemoteCentral to help with something like this - they're much more experienced in this already - plus a few of their users are EXPERTS in this field (and I do mean EXPERTS - one user John (SuperJohn maybe??? I forget) wrote programs that create IR databases by using just a few codes etc... I mean this guy is smart!

Maybe I am alone on this, and I do use remote central all the time, but I think their site is awful in its setup for ir codes and discrete codes. I have often hoped for a nice, databased, clean layout site dedicated to IR codes and discretes.

Curt

We were considering setting up a database for this purpose. It's kind of a work in progress we were looking for user requests before we took the time to build it.

We don't want to go through the process of building an infrastructure if it's not going to be used.

Dan

I think these devices are refered to as TOAD's Toggle Only Activated Devices, there are list for them. \

We have found it often less expensive to sell them a new device , cheap if bneccessary, than to mess around with these.

You guys say the word and we're in. We have plenty of servers and bandwidth to support the site. All we need is everyone to maintain it.

I'd approach the people at RemoteCentral to help with something like this - they're much more experienced in this already - plus a few of their users are EXPERTS in this field (and I do mean EXPERTS - one user John (SuperJohn maybe??? I forget) wrote programs that create IR databases by using just a few codes etc... I mean this guy is smart!

slemay.... thats an intelligent thought... I would be willing to contact folks at Remote Central to see if they have any interest. If anyone knows of the right person(s) just let me know.

I don't want to be a "wet blanket" but ridiculing companies for lack of discrete codes is unlikely to achieve anything. Being positive by highly recommending companies that embrace the custom AV market is more beneficial in the long run.

Just remember, as much as you hate TOAD devices, the manufacturers are probably not thinking about the custom market as their bread and butter. They are interested in the broad (dare I say: mass) market where people don't have a clue as to what a discrete code actually is. The chances of making these companies care is slim to none. Better to educate people as to what the best manfuacturers are, and leave those not on the list to worry about the consequences to their intended market of not being on such a list.

"The squeekie wheel gets the grease." No need to sit on our duff and wait for something to happen or change. I'm not much on waiting for someone to "wake up and smell the coffee." Being active rather than passive is a great way to get things to happen. Besides, a list of manufactures that don't have discrete codes is just stating a fact. It's hardly ridicule.

Samer, Why would a company not care if they were on such a list? I think you way under estimate the size of the custom AV market. What would it cost the company to stay of the list? What is the cost to the OEM to add discretes? I bet it's very little to nothing...

I think this would be a cool thing to do... It will definately get companies hopefully moving towards full DC. If I was an AV Manufacturer I would not want to be on that list... Plus I think we can make some really cool T-Shirts that will be thinkgeek material :)

Here are some domain names that just popped into my head... Lets start coming up with some...

www.gearwithoutdcsuck.com

www.companieswithoutdcsuck.com

www.nodcnobuy.com

www.nodcitsucks.com

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the positive list of companies that do. Then take that list and send a copy to all the ones that don't. Companies hate to be the lone person out. Ever notice how most of them watch and copy what Sony does. Put Sony first on the list (even though not everything they do is discrete) and I bet others will follow. I don't know. But I do agree with all of you when you say that you hate products without discretes. It's so time consuming otherwise.

We don't carry products that don't have discretes and integrating clients existing equipment is time and materials because of the process to work around no discretes, hunting them down, converting codes, etc. Choose your brands carefully. Sell more expensive product, there is a reason for more $$$. We won't even pick up a line unless it has discretes and hopefully 232. That's the first thing we look for and we even have one rep that the first thing he hands me when trying to get us to pick up a new line is the data needed for control. Stick to your guns and cry and bitch when companies don't have discretes. Maybe some day they'll listen. Tell your reps NO when they want you to pick up some crappy line.

I still like the shirt idea though. When are we going to get them? :-)

• 8 years later...

Archived