C4 Forums | Control4

Time on touchscreens

Neter66

Hello

I have several touchscreens that seem to not be able to tell time.  I have 4.  2 of them have the correct time, 2 of them are off by several hours.  They are the old 7" models.  Project was upgraded to 2.9, and they are no longer officially supported, however, they still connect and can control devices in the house.  (They are mostly used to view video camera footage) 

Q:  Where do touchscreens get their time from?   How can 2 be correct and 2 be way off?

Cheers
D.

23 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

so you are wondering why non-supported hardware backdoored into a project aren't working correctly?

Not backdoored at all.  Were in the project from the beginning (6ish years).  Made a decision that when upgrading to latest version, that I would lose the ability to control them, to update anything on them, or to use the 4x buttons on the front.  Informed decision.  Been upgraded for almost 1 year.  Everything has been fine (with the limitations I accepted by upgrading) and now time is drifting.  

Was a question as to where their time is gotten from.  If it's internal, then that tells me there is an issue with the onboard battery.  If it's gotten from a NTP time source, then I have to update my firewall rules to allow them out to the interwebitubtes.  If it's from one of the controllers, then I need to determine why that is not sending proper time (could be that they are not able to access the NTP source).  

Lots of possibilities as to where touchscreens get their time from.  Was wondering where they get their time from to allow me to debug further.

41 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

time comes via NTP on the controller

Much thanks.  There was a hardcoded IP address in the /etc/hosts file that pointed to an old address.  IP network was re-addressed when I moved to Google WiFi.

Removed static entry and rebooted the touchscreen, now time is correct.

Archived