C4 Forums | Control4

Media player doesn't have audio zones available

Hi all.

I have been reading for a while even before I took the plunge.

I am an end user and am pretty impressed so far.

I have 3 A/V zones and 8 audio zones.

The cable boxes and blu-ray player run through a matrix and are also inputing the C4 amp just like the media player.

They are showing up as expected and I can add any room when they are active. However the media player is not giving me the ability to add any zones when it is playing.

It seems it should behave exactly the same as the cable boxes and blu-ray but it isn't.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bobby

I would have to track it down again but I found something that led us to believe they were. We are definately operate under that assumption which may not turn out to be the case.

I would still expect it to show up under the listen as the cable boxes and blu-ray do but not get any sound if that was the case. I am puzzled as to why it doesn't show up as the others do.

I will search the netgear forum again on the whether both are hot.

Bobby

Are you talking about the "listen" button on a SR-250? Is it set to just cycle through the last 3 devices you've listened to or display a list of available devices? (that's a feature now in one of the 1.7.1 updates, something about changed behavior of the listen button).

Codeman,

I think you are on to something. If I play an mp3 on the netgear I can go into HE and manual select a zone and get audio. However on a movie I can select zone but no audio.

I have a spare output on the Video Storm 8x4 I wonder if we could set up a dummy video zone and get the audio from the Matrix switch assuming it can do the downmixing. Not as elegant but at least would have the ability to listen whole house if need be.

I dont think you'll get the downmixing, that's the catch. C4 is expecting something to be the endpoint (like a receiver) for the digital coax, as their amps/matrixes all only support RCA stereo. So you could listen using only the stereo outputs from the Netgear, and apply some surround sound like dolby pro logic or something in your surround zones, or by putting a receiver in the locations where you want to hear the surround/digital coax.

How my house is setup/my friends, is that we stream music like MP3s or satellite audio for tv with the control4 gear (speakerpoints or tvs as endpoints) and anything for movies typically has a surround zone (and receiver) so we run the digital coax to the matrix and from an out on the matrix to that zone's receiver's input.

Multizone isn't recommended, as without RS232 control and a good driver, the c4 system can get easily "confused" without knowing and confirming the state the receiver is in before making changes. I think you'll be unhappy using multizone, but it's JMO.

• 3 months later...
Thanks for the advice. I guess it may be a no go. Shame the Netgear doesn't output both like the others.

Oh well. Thanks for your help.

Bobby

Something to try, there's a setting on the 9150 for how it handles Dolby Digital. you may try changing this to see if it will allow the stereo outputs to be the same. I cant remember the wording off the top of my head, but I'm having the same request from my Ranch project. They want to watch the netgear in the bedroom , but there's not a receiver for that room only a speaker point ( as it's just two in-ceiling speakers). I'm trying this out to see what happens, and I'll let you know. Worse case scenario is that we'll have to pick up a cheap receiver for the bedroom and I'll have to rewire it ... lol

Archived