C4 Forums | Control4

Streaming AUdio Question

demcontrol4

I had a question about streaming audio through a HC300 or HC200. Is streaming audio performance fast enough through these devices to use for video audio as well. I have the sony component video distribution switch and wanted to know if the video and audio would be in sync with the HC200 if I added a few tv locations.

I guess I will have to stick to the cat 5 audio baluns. In regards to streaming though, my other question is there any way to hear the streaming audio from a panasonic ip camera. It would be a great to have it when the camera is on screen and it is not that imperative that it be in sync with video because I just want to have it as a baby monitor.

No, the audio streaming from the camera is not available in the Control4 system. There are a few reasons for that. Video decoding happens on the touchscreen itself (Director is out of the picture).

The touchscreens' CPUs are kind of undersized to:

* Decode the audio

* Re-encode the audio to send to the digital audio system

* Also handle the video stream

Because of this, the audio streaming from the camera is not requested, and if sent, is dropped.

Some cameras have line-level audio outputs, and if you were to route them as sources into your multi-room audio setup, they would work as any other audio source. That's about your only option as of now.

RyanE

Archived