C4 Forums | Control4

DCS Alarm devices in rooms

DJ

First time writing so I will say some of the ideas and things in here are awesome. I have an alarm with many motion detectors and water sensors but the problem is that they live in each room versus one master area that can be seen easily under "house" My goal is to have all the motion devices under house then all the water sensors under house wihtout having to switch rooms. The reason is that in the event I have an intruder I would quickly like to know the location versus searching for it. I know we can create a scene that will turn on the tv but then which one? Nobody can tell me why the alarm can not be viewed under house in every room just like a camera for a front door for example. Why is an alarm differant. Calls and emails to control 4 go unanswered so I hope you can help.

Simplest thing is to make a room called ALARM and put all your sensors there - then when you want to review it - change rooms to that room and pull them up. We do this all the time and it works great.

Not to hijack but why is a dealer needed to add devices such as motions when functionally they are already there with the DSC interface? I am constantly asking my dealer to add this and that so I can trigger lights.

Your dealer should have put them in to begin with... same on him... :(

Every device that is attached to the security system should be added into the Control4 project if you want to do anything with it (ie: trip lights based on motion). Just adding the security panel does not add those devices as well and your dealer should know that! Make sure he's not charging you extra to do something he should have done in the beginning. (Sorry to vent - it upsets me to see 1/2 done jobs).

Slemay, thanks we did put all the sensors in one room as suggested but two items are not perfect:

1) When you go to the "security room" it is cluttered because I have so many devices. I went a little crazy and put water sensors everywhere in the house as I had a flood 6 months ago and am paranoid.

2) I feel this should be able to be viewed from every room in the house quickly in case of an emergency. for example if I have an intruder in the 2nd floor bonus room I need to know quickly to get the family out the front steps or vice versa.

Sounds like you are particular which is how I am. honestly I am very anal and want things perfect!!! Maybe I am wishing for too much but I feel if a camera in the front door can be viewed from every room then so should this,.

^^Shawn, maybe I should call you this week. DJ, install a whole house flow detector that senses full-on line breakage. Done. Also, if your security system is online it will detect things quicker than C4. If you are asleep and someone batters-down your front door you aren't gonna be scurrying around looking to see who it is on a touchscreen!

DJ - you could always create 2 rooms... one with important sensors -another with not so important ones (thus not so cluttered).

But there is no way to make sensors in other rooms available throughout the project and other rooms - sorry.

We had a client paranoid about floods and water leaks a while back. We put in an electric shut off valve on the water main (or, I should say, we had a plumber put it in). If any water bug trips, the water to the house is shut off automatically. At that point there is no need to have them listed in the rooms.

This can be done. Your dealer has to make the connections under your security system. In the connections, you have to drag and drop the "room selection" to each room you want to be able to control your alarm from. That is how mine was done. I can access my alarm from any room in the house with my remote or iPhone. You can do the same for your thermostats (if you have them). :cool:

mharshany: Thanks I will talk to my dealer and try this but he keeps stating it is impossible but I disagree so I am glad you wrote.

Mav-jason: Do you know the name of the water shut off. I am like that paranoid customer as my basement flooded, killed my control 4, the pool table and everything else. I never want this to happen again.

Thanks to everyone...this site is awesome for new people.

Really depends on your security system... any reputable plumber can install the shut off valve. In my clients case there was no Control4 even involved, so it's all on the security system. We use GE Concord, not familiar with DCS, sorry.

• 5 months later...

Archived