C4 Forums | Control4

Thoughts & Suggestions Please AMP Question

Currently, I have a medium sized Project with 1-HC 500 and 3-HC 300's. Eight Zones of Distributed Audio by way of a Control4 AMP that is maxed out with eight zones. I have seven more zones to do in my house. I am about to start Phase II of this Project which includes about 60 dimmers/switches; 3 and 6 button keypads as well as garage door and other contacts for gates and doors. Cost approx $10,000.00.

I really want to get the three remaining bedrooms and my sons' bathroom zoned for music/announcements with this install. I figure 1 speaker in the bathroom, 1 Speaker in 14 yr old's bedroom and 1 speaker in the 2 year old's room would run $450.00 and 2 speakers in the guest bedroom $300.00 ($750 total)(I know, not including labor and wire)(eventually we will run RBG and Cat 5 to the quest bedroom for the TV with a MC200; I like GUI's on the TV's). I think we have enough audio outs on the current controllers to handle this (the Project has 1-500 and 3-300's) but we have to power the speakers. A new Control4 AMP is $2,499.00 and a 4 zone AMP is ___________?(can't find a price anywhere).

Can we integrate a non Control AMP here to save money? I thought of running speaker points, but 4 zones and 4 speaker points would be around $1,600.00 ($399.00 Ethernet MSRP). There are 3 more rooms on the first floor and basement that I want to run distributed audio to eventually as well (bar, formal living room and billiard room). Thus, speaker points are not really an option and do not want to do two 4 zone Amps. Is there a cheaper AMP that integrates into Control4 (need 7 zones to finish the house)? Attached are current components and pics. Thank you all for your anticipated input.

Given your future plans of adding 7 more zones of audio, plus the obvious neatness of your install and amount of money you have already spent, I would stay with Control4. Now is not the time to skimp and try to find a cheap solution when you are so close to a great system. Your best option is another 8 zone Control4 Amp at $2495. You could do a 4 zone amp which is $1195 and then add another 4 zone later. You also need to think about how you are going to connect your sources. If you end up with 2 more 4 zone amps then you would need to Y split your sources 3 ways and it gets messy plus there is more signal loss. Your options are RCA Y-Cables from each source to 2-3 amps or use a Control4 Audio Matrix (16 inputs to 16 outputs, $1295) which will make a much cleaner install and give you more reliable control.

I did forget to add that at the last minute we did in fact install an C4 Audio Matrix switch. I just don't want to spend another $2,500.00 right now on an AMP. I appreciate the candor. Are there any AMPS which you suggest other than the C4?

I did forget to add that at the last minute we did in fact install an C4 Audio Matrix switch. I just don't want to spend another $2,500.00 right now on an AMP. I appreciate the candor. Are there any AMPS which you suggest other than the C4?

Since you have the C4 matrix switch you can use just about any AMP and use the matrix switch to control the volume.

While using the matrix switch to control volume certainly works, it's less than optimal, because the matrix switch does not actually amplify the line level signal, it only attenuates it. Because of this, it's steps are less granular than the steps of an amplifier.

i.e. it still goes from 1-100, but it steps in something like 4% at a time, instead of 1% at a time.

Something to be aware of.

RyanE

Archived