C4 Forums | Control4

How to Measure Heater Run Time/Usage

I have seven zones in my house with four actual units. I'm trying to determine if I have a unit that is running more then the rest as we need to balance out the house and try to improve the electric bill. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to track usage?

-jw

These are heat pumps... the part that amazes me is that a $99 programable thermostat tracks this. How can C4 not?

-jw

What brand of $99 programmable thermostat are you referring to? I have not seen a t-stat that provides a log of when heat and/or cool is called for.

These are heat pumps... the part that amazes me is that a $99 programable thermostat tracks this. How can C4 not?

-jw

A programmable thermostat can certainly 'keep track' in that you program when it should be on or off, but I agree I've not seen one that also logs calls for heat/cold. C4 can also be programmed for when it is on/off, but you're looking for when there's actual airflow it sounds like.

If your HVAC doesn't already do that, then I'd probably look at either electrical consumption monitoring (i.e. some Kill-A-Watt type device that logs) or an Oregon-Scientific-style temperature probe that you could leave in a register that would record when warm air or cold air was blowing past.

--Jason

Archived