C4 Forums | Control4

How does this work with Directv?

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I've just recently been introduced to this product and I'm still trying to come to terms with how it functions. I will give a simple scenario and perhaps someone can explain or disprove what I've been told. I recently saw the product and was told I could store my directv receiver in the basement and then control it via the control 4 system (I am looking at other products, but am just trying to understand this for starters). Assuming this is the case, I rack and stack my Directv DVR receiver in the basement, I have the two coax cables connected to the receiver to give it the feed from the satellite, then how do I get this feed to my tv? Do I throw an HC-300 on the receiver via component cables, connect an ethernet cable onto the HC-300 which is on a data switch, I then go up to the tv where there is an ethernet port connected to the data switch, then do I add another HC-300 box which then connects to the data switch and the composite feeds out to the tv? Am I correct in this assumption, am I crazy? If someone could clarify it would help.

Edit:

I attached a basic diagram of how I think this works, thus why I'm wanting clarification or told if I'm crazy etc.

The Control4 system does not digitally distribute video.

It can digitally distribute audio, but video sources would need to be hooked to a video switch, which could be controlled by the Control4 system. That is, with your Control4 system, you could pick a channel on the DirecTV, or choose that you want to access the DVR functionality of the DirecTV box, and the Control4 system would switch the video switch to that source for the room you're in.

One thing to note is that if you're switching video as above, you also need to switch the audio, because transmitting audio digitally (via the network) requires that the audio be digitized, which takes a second or two to digitize, plus time to ensure the buffer remains full at the receiving end, and because of this, streamed audio will be out of sync with switched video. Both would need to be switched for it to work properly.

This is typical of most control systems. Video switches are a common solution for this problem.

RyanE

First off, works FLAWLESS! My fav setup.

As for your diagram, not quite. What cables do you have run from basement to living room?

Best bet is to have a dealer come out and see what you have, and give you a quote.

Edit: Ryan beat me, lol... and yeah, what he said too.

You will need to distribute the video from your equipment closet to the TVs. There are several ways to do this.You could use long HDMI or component cables or you could use some sort of balun to extend the signal over Cat-5e/Cat-6. The C4 system does not distribute video.

Archived