C4 Forums | Control4

outdoor lighting transformer solution

B4C4

Working with my local C4 dealer on a system but he has not been able to give me a solution for controlling my outdoor lighting transformers. I have (1) 1200 watt and (2) 600 watt transformers plugged into end use covered GFIC receptacles. They all use appliance rotary style timers with the pegs to adjust the on/off. Any suggestions?

I have mine setup using a CardAccess wireless relay device connected to a high voltage ELK relay.

You take the hot line from the load side of the GFCI, feed it into the ELK relay. You then take the other connector off the ELK relay and feed it another outlet that is triggered by the relay. You also need to make sure you have the low voltage power for both the CardAccess piece so you need to account for the small transformer that is required.

I used a nice underground connector box anchored to my wall to hold all of the connectors. The GFCI is a separate box connected to the connector box. The triggered outlet is another outlet box coming out of the connector box. I removed the tabs from my malibu light timers and use the relay.

Via programming, I tied the relay triggering to my rear light switch so when I turn on my back porch light it turns on the outdoor yard lights. I also have the pool lights tied in through another similar solution. Then the whole thing uses a scheduler for turning on and off at night.

Feel free to send me a PM if you need more help in getting the wiring correct.

I just setup so that I have an indoor wall switch that controls the outdoor GFI (since they are on external walls pretty easy) then I use a standard wall switch to turn the outlet on and off using the chronos clock. If you have in one area this is a much cheaper solution. I have 3 seperate switches but then I can control the 3 zones independently.

Good discussion.

Also consider for the 600w transformers......you could plug those into a Control4 wireless outlet switch (or perhaps 2 switches). I think the switch is rated to 750w. You could then easily automate through Composer. Also, you could link the wireless outlet switch to a keypad or light switch/dimmer press or release. If you outdoor light installer could convert your 1200w to 2-600w ...you could do all on outlet switches.

CardAccess also sells a high-voltage Zigbee-controllable relay for this type of purpose.

http://www.cardaccess-inc.com/inhomeproducts/index.php?a=ihdpc

RyanE

Just like ryan said the card access relay would be your best bet especially for the 1200w transformer.

Do you have all of this on one cct? if so I would assume these transformers are not loaded up as the would put you up around 2500w and a 15amp cct is only rated 1440w, if it is on more than one cct your just going to need a relay to go along with the card access unit, and if nothing else is on that cct or ccts break it at the panel and wire to the card access unit that way no need to do any of this outdoors

putting a large load like this on a C4 switch will probably wind up freezing the relay contacts over time

Archived