C4 Forums | Control4

Managing a Network Switch Particularly a Dell 2724

sjj31a

I know this is a technical question but I want to tune my EVA8000's a little bit and my 24 port switch has a management option to prioritize bandwidth for QOS. Does anyone do this and or use a tool (and what tool) to measure where the bandwidth hogs are within the network. My thoughts are the primary bandwidth should go to the Controllers followed by the netgear boxes etc. Also if anyone is interested in a project let me know as this is not something I want to handle myself.

You don't need QoS. Our company has 3 video servers, 16 app server, close to 100 cameras at 3 and 5mp each at 8-12 fps. Plus all the users desktops and we have 0 issues. I'd recommend gb switch if it's not already (on iPhone so I'm not checking :)

if you have issues I would check your cabling with a good tester (read: fluke networks)

Does c4 even support qos packet tagging?

The EVA8000 has a max wireline speed of 100Mbps, and you're plugging it into a switch that can support 10x that speed on each port. So ignore the switch - I'm sure there's something you can do to make your situation worse, and there's virtually nothing you can do to make it better.

Focus on the bottlenecks, likely the connection to the server, the hardware on the server, or maybe even the software itself.

Sure, there are many ways a switch can turn into a bottleneck. But I really don't see how using a reasonably capable switch like this (even in factory default mode) is going to be a bottleneck in a home environment.

Archived