C4 Forums | Control4

Honeywell Hometronics

infojunkie

http://europe.hbc.honeywell.com/hometronic/home.htm

It seems a great product to do the basic point solutions in a robust manner - after all Honeywell have a great background with this kind of thing. AMX, Crestron and Netstreams all have full 2-way interfaces, but I can't find any mention of Control4.

Anyone had any luck integrating this with C4?

I can buy components for wall outlets and lighting control in the DIY store, so what does Hometronic give me that's special?

Hometronic is the first complete home automation system. You have just one, central operating element, the Manager, which handles everything from the heating to the lights to the garage door to the garden sprinkler. You can even control the Manager via cellphone or Internet when you're away from home. There's a lot more to Hometronic than just separate components.

That's a laugh...

:)

RyanE

I haven't heard anything about it, I doubt there's a driver for at ATM.

RyanE

Ok. Any chance you could make a formal enquiry and post back?

I can buy components for wall outlets and lighting control in the DIY store, so what does Hometronic give me that's special?

Compatibility (with European heating control standards and voltage).

Scalability - I need to control 10 zones of heating

Reliability - I think we can all agree Honeywell know how to make a reliable T-stat :D

Hometronic is the first complete home automation system. You have just one, central operating element, the Manager, which handles everything from the heating to the lights to the garage door to the garden sprinkler. You can even control the Manager via cellphone or Internet when you're away from home. There's a lot more to Hometronic than just separate components.

That's a laugh...

:)

RyanE

Now why do you say "That's a laugh...." ? The Hometronics system is not exactly new. It was on the market almost 4 years before Control4 was even incorporated. Anyhow, that's beside the point. I was not posting it because I thought it was an alternative. It is clearly not intended to provide ALL of the features of a full HA solution. It is a more traditional solution updated for integration, whilst acting as a mini-HA system for those who are happy controlling things via single wall mount interface. BUT, and this is the interesting aspect for me, there is also a $1000 unit that gives you full interface access to the system over IP, which is what made me think it would work as a subsystem to a Control4 hub. Due to their US origins, most of the HA vendor own solutions do not function 100% correctly in the UK at least on the "HVAC" side of things. At present my biggest challenge is finding heating control solution that will integrate with whatever HA solution I choose. I'll be visiting the Control4, AMX and Crestron HQs over the next few weeks evaluating options. I just hope one of them will give me some answers. I actually favour Control4 for a number of reasons, but I need to make sure that it will work reliably with all the components I intend to install. So far it is not looking promising :(

Thanks.

When I read Ryan's post I knew someone would take it wrong.

What Ryan was laughing at was the quote about being the FIRST complete home automation service. I know Ryan and he did not mean to disparage the company but rather their claim.

I understand that HVAC in the UK is difficult but I have seen a couple of threads on the dealer forums discussing this problem.

Ryan will not be an expert on HVAC in the UK, and if you will give me some time I will find the most promising solutions and refer you to that dealer.

Brent

I understand that HVAC in the UK is difficult but I have seen a couple of threads on the dealer forums discussing this problem.

Ryan will not be an expert on HVAC in the UK, and if you will give me some time I will find the most promising solutions and refer you to that dealer.

Brent

Thanks! That would be great. Cheers for the offer of help.

Brent's got it right.

I was not laughing about their product, just the claim that they were the first complete home automation system.

I worked for an automation company well over 10 years ago that does *all* of the things they talk about on that page and much, much more.

And they'd been in business for 4-5+ years before I started there...

RyanE

Oh, and the quote I put, including the 'I can buy' part, all came from their FAQ.

I was not saying I would want to put something together DIY...

I *do* work for Control4... :)

And as far as a 'formal inquiry', I can pretty much guarantee you that there's no driver for Honeywell Hometronics ATM.

RyanE

Also, since you're on the other side of the pond, you'd probably do best to get in touch with Control4 EMEA's offices, who would have a lot more info on what European products integrate well with Control4.

T: +44 1347 812300

Email: emea@control4.com

Cheers.

RyanE

Also, since you're on the other side of the pond, you'd probably do best to get in touch with Control4 EMEA's offices, who would have a lot more info on what European products integrate well with Control4.

T: +44 1347 812300

Email: emea@control4.com

Cheers.

RyanE

Thanks.

I have already spoken at length with Control4 EMEA prior to visiting this site. They were not able to help much. Apparently there is no list of formally supported 3rd party devices - at least one that they are able to share with customers. The best they could do was look up a list of items within the system or software and say yes or no. So I'd have to call them each time I find a new T-Stat option that might work. They categorically stated that I would be unable to get a list of compatible items for which a driver already exists which would make my job a whole lot easier as I could then just evaluate the known good options rather than guessing.

I'm not trying to do this DYI. I have a dealer that I'm working with. But even he is having difficulty getting the right information hence why I am helping out with my own research. But I'm not going to invest in a system on the off-chance that it might work hence why I'm trying to find formally vendor supported solutions.

I appologise if I misunderstood your previous post, I did not realise that you were quoting from the FAQ. It was not evident from the post. I'm just frustrated at the lack of information available for EMEA support.

Archived