C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 and best IP cameras

Hi,

I would like to set up a security system with cameras and I contacted my Control4 people. I just always like to get second and third opinions. What are the best IP cameras to use with control4? Does using a camera give you actual security or is it just a facade? Is camera quality good enough to use to see faces clearly if an incident happened? What about in low light or no light situations? The cameras recommended to me are Panasonic BB-HCM381A or BB-HCM531A for the outside and BB-HCM511A for the inside. Any suggestions and comments welcome.

Panasonic and Axis cameras are the ones we use and others have had great success with them as well. In fact, there are drivers already created for control over ip for these brands. Quality is entirely dependent on your camera. You can set up a DVR to which the cameras record to, otherwise you'd have to be watching as the incident happened and have to have "total recall".

As far as whether or not they give you actual security, it's an "incident deterrent" at best. If someone really wants to do something, they will do it regardless of preventative measures in place. Watch the local news and you'll be amazed at the bank robbers that dont wear masks.

Archived