C4 Forums | Control4

Help with Selecting Thermostats

Hi Folks, I am in the process of implementing a C4 system and have learned a lot from these boards. I appreciate it very much. My dealer and I are trying to determine the best way to proceed with a basement project and one thing has me stumped--determining what thermostats to use. Here is my situation:

1) Existing HAI system upstairs for security and control of 3 HAI omnistat thermostats;

2) Basement will have new HVAC with 3 zones (HVAC is in but zone controller has not been purchased yet)

3) Dealer will be interfacing HAI security with C4.

So I have read through the posts on this board about thermostats and do not have a clear idea of what my best option is. Here are the choices:

1) Install HAI omnistat thermostats in basement and have dealer interface (i.e. write a driver) new and old HAI thermostats with C4;

2) Purchase C4 thermostats for downstairs and replacements for upstairs (6 total);

3) Install Aprilaire 8870 thermostats all around (I understand there are drivers for this already);

4) Go with standard programmable thermostat until better C4 option comes along.

Given the circumstances, what would you do? I'd be inclined to just install C4 thermostats all around, except some people give those stats less than stellar reviews.

Also, HVAC guy is talking about installing a Honeywell zone controller, is that a good idea, or should I select a different zone controller?

Thanks for your kind consideration of this issue.

-Mike

I replace my thermostats with the C4 thermostats and haven't had any issues at all with them. I've had them in for over 2.5 years now. The most I've done with them is to calibrate them if they read a little high or low ... but that's very easy to do with the C4 thermostats. My setup is much simpler 3 HVAC zones, 3 HVAC units and 3 C4 thermostats.

I believe the HAI security panel driver will also support the HAI thermostats.

It won't allow you to schedule them through the Navigators (just like the Aprilaire), but it will allow you to change setpoints, etc. through Navigator.

The only way to get the scheduling native through Navigator, is to replace them with Control4 thermostats.

RyanE

Archived