C4 Forums | Control4

multiple iTunes sessions, multiple rooms, multiple AppleTVs

I don't have a C4 system but I am thinking about getting one.

Currently, I have a Mac Mini with user:alwayson , which is always on with the user always on. The alwayson Mac Mini only runs iTunes. Sharing of iTunes is on, so any other Mac running iTunes can access the shared library.

1) If Dad wants to listen to music or watch a video on his own Mac computer:

Dad logs into Dad's mac and fires up his iTunes, connects to the shared iTunes library, and plays iTunes music with the audio or video going to his own computer.

2) In Dad's room is Dad's television with Dad's AppleTV. The AppleTV is setup to get everything via STREAMING (not file copying) from the AlwaysOnMacMini iTunes library. (AlwaysOnMacMini has a huge external hard drive).

If Dad wants to hear a song on his AppleTV or watch a video. He hits the AppleTV remote and selects the movie or song. The GUI of the AppleTV is displayed on Dad's television. Note: Dad's computer does not need to be on. Dad's computer is not involved in the process.

3) If Dad wants to purchase a new iTunes song or iTunes movie. He logs into his computer, and brings up Chicken of the VNC. Chicken of the VNC then display the iTunes screen of the AlwaysOnMac Mini. He then buys the song or video, and it is downloaded to the AlwaysOnMacMini. He then logs off of Chicken of the VNC. To listen to the new song, or watch the new video, he then uses method 1) or method 2).

4) Dad also has an iPhone. He wants the iPhone to sync with his computer's iTunes and not with the AlwaysOnMacMini iTunes. Dad wants to see the movie on his iPhone that he purchased in method 3. On Dad's iTunes, he goes to File --> Add to Library --> selects the AlwaysOnMacMini computer --> selects user AlwaysOn --> selects Music --> select the new movie. The new movie is then copied to Dad's computer iTunes.

He then syncs his iPhone with his computer's iTunes library.

5) Same as 1 but for Mom.

6) Same as 2 but for Mom.

7) Same as 3 but for Mom.

8) Same as 4 but for Mom.

The kids share a computer. The kids share a television. The kids share an AppleTV. Each kid has his own account on the computer. (The oldest kid has a n iPhone. The middle kid has an iTouch. The youngest kid has an iPod. Don't think that is relevant). So they do the same thing as 1), 2), 3), 4)

So how is all this integrated into a C4 system.

What method(s) do C4 support officially or unofficially?

If I put 3 AppleTVs down in the basement in a "C4 rack". How is everything connected. For instance the AppleTV output is HDMI, what does that connect to? Can Dad also sends his iTune music to the backyard speakers?

Also are there any physical limitation such as:

Is HDMI being used?

HDMI outputs to HDMI inputs distance (C4 HDMI output to TV HDMI input)?

CAT6 length?

What a fantastic post Jim.

A new Itunes GUI has been written for running itunes from mac's within some other homeautomation platforms . I'm not sure these also control AppleTV's.

C4 (to my knowledge), doesn't have specific 2way control of itunes like this, but there are more basic IR drivers for control of frontrow on mac's and appletv's. So my guess is you would put your appleTV's in the different peripheral zones and control each with an HC200 or 300 (toghether with the attached TV) out at that zone. Basically you'd run each different appletv like any other set-top box/DVD/media player etc.

An alternative approach is to put XBMC onto the apple TV's and use Alan Chow's XBMC driver. But I'm not sure how this works with multiple AppleTV "Zones". Actually I'd be interested to know...

There are AV Matrix guys in this forum who may have a different approach though..eg connect all three AppleTV's from your rack through the matrix. But this kind of defeats the purpose of the AppleTV as a media streaming device.

But your right...the future is better control of apple products....and apple friendly products (I use Sonos for music)...and the key as you indicate is using the iphone/touch as the central point of control.

I've also looked at Savant...a home auto platform that runs on mac's. But unfortunately I can't get it in my part of the world and it's darn expensive (eg up there and over...compared to with AMX and Crestron)..I'm also not sure if it is any better at AppleTV "Control".

There is one thing fantastic about Control4. That is the C4 iphone app. Since you look like using iphones and itouches as your main controllers, you could run the C4 app and the Apple Remote App (one for each "zone") and have all the control on the ONE type of device. The great thing about Control4 is it is a networkable IP product. It can easily be set up on your established apple network. ie it runs and is setup like Sonos and AppleTV's. And you can start off small (say your main TV zone). See how you go and expand from there. You don't need to be a millionaire to try the gear out. If I were you, I would basically set up an HC200 or HC300 out in each zone where the TV's are.

There are some other posts on this forum on HDMI distance runs CAT6 vs CAT5 etc...check them out. Control4 and this forum rocks! :D

Archived