C4 Forums | Control4

Surge suppression on Ethernet lines

jbs

I keep a laptop as a backup server in a detached garage, connected over ethernet. Came back from vacation last night to find the circuit breaker tripped in the garage and the network card in that laptop fried. Also the D-Link POE switch on the other end of the long underground cable run needed to be rebooted.

While all electrical equipment is on surge protectors and UPS, I'd not bothered with surge suppression on the network because it comes into the house over fiber which can't conduct electricity. But my reading in the last few hours revealed that long underground runs can act as antennas and pick up charges from nearby lightning strikes, transmitting them, as in this case, to both ends of the wire.

So, I'd like to put surge suppressors on either end of the the RJ45 run, once at the garage laptop and once at the switch in the AV closet. Has anyone done this and have recommendations on the best equipment to use to contain any future surge? I've seen standalone RJ45 couplers from the likes of TrippLite, as well as power strip / surge suppressors which have an RJ45 on them, but I've no experience with any of them.

Thanks!

--Jason

APC makes a line of ethernet surge suppressors that are designed to be placed between these kinds of links.

You will need one on each end for long runs.

APC Pnet1GB is an example of the devices available. This model is rj45 and supports POE as well as 10/100/1000 over copper.

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=PNET1GB

Archived