C4 Forums | Control4

Composer stops halfway through the process of adding network storage

jbs

I primarily use an external 500 GB drive attached to my controller to hold my music, but since rescanning it is an overnight affair (I've been collecting CDs for a looooong time) I've taken recently to saving new music to the internal drive of the media controller and rescanning that. Since it has only a few albums it scans in minutes, the music is immediately available, and then every couple of months I'll update the external drive, delete the database and rescan.

I recently upgraded our home router to a Belkin N+ router which has a USB port and can function as a type of NAS. I attached an old thumb drive which gives me a 2 GB drive accessible to any machine on the network.

The problem I'm having at the moment is that when my dealer tries to add the shared folder, it starts through the sequence of "Connecting", and the green bars light up in Composer about half way through, but then he's getting an "Unable to Connect to Network Share" error popup.

We did find that if we changed the URL to something wrong, it failed immediately, so it seems to be *trying* to connect. The URL for the shared folder is simply the IP of the router plus the name of the drive, so he's entering it as follows:

//192.168.1.1/thumb

and the same address, when typed into a Win Explorer address bar, does connect to the shared folder. our system is on 1.6.0.486. We're considering updating to 1.7.2 and if this is a problem that is fixed with that upgrade, that would certainly be a reason to do so.

Any suggestions? For what it's worth I can access the controller's internal and external hard drives across my home network, so it seems the controller would also be able to access a shared folder . . . but we're stumped here.

Thanks.

--Jason

What are the permissions on the share?

It's a pretty basic NAS (again, just built in to the router) so everyone has read/write access to it. I can read and write to it fine from any machine on the network.

Archived