C4 Forums | Control4

Problems playing Rhapsody content using HC-300

I'm a new C4 customer and have the following issue:

I have 2 HC-300s, one for my home theatre (HT) and one for my whole home audio (WHA). They are both connected to an SMC switch (100 mb) which is connected to a wireless access point supplied by Verizon (FiOS). My problem is that when I play music from Rhapsody from the WHA HC-300, I get frequent and long dropouts. I can play music from Rhapsody from the HT HC-300 and I don't experience any issues. I have 6 zones connected to the WHA and when I try and do this I am only streaming to 1 location.

The first comment by my dealer was that Rhapsody is susceptible to network issues between my house and Rhapsody. Since it works flawlesly on the HT I'm not sure that is the issue. Also, I would think if it were network (WAN) speed related it would work at least some of the times I try it. I get dropouts every time I use the system.

Any help as to what might be a good solution is greatly appreciated.

I think you've proven it's not an external Rhapsody issue as you suggest.

You might consider swapping the 2 HC-300's so they are installed in each other's place in your network. That will help determine if it's something to do with the network connections to the HC-300 (if it still happens on the WHA), or if it's the HC-300 itself (if the problem follows the HC-300 now on your WHA).

Which version is your system running? The latest 1.7.3.68 release fixes a network throughput issue.

One of the fixes:

* Improved network throughput to alleviate audio skipping caused by insufficient network bandwidth - most often occuring on new HC-300 controllers.

Ask your dealer to upgrade your system, maybe this will help.

I did swap the port connections for each hc-300 as bebster suggested and get the same result so I guess it is not the network. I'mm not sure what release I am on so will have to check that but think i am the most current as it was installed 2 weeks ago and actually updated a few days ago. After this update i noticed new Rhapsody functionality, etc.

The next idea for a fix is to replace the Verizon-supplied router with a gigabit router/access point so I will try that and see how that works.

Archived