C4 Forums | Control4

Dish Hopper3 and 4k Joeys = only single speaker in stereo pair has sound??

Just installed Dish Hopper3 and 4kJoeys. All is working fine for video and control through Leaf 8x8, C4 Triad audio matrix and amps. Have several ways audio comes from tv's in the house and the audio works fine in 2 out of 3 methods:

1. WORKS = 2xTV with sonos arc sounds bars

2. WORKS = 2xTV with AVR hooked up to video matrix

3. Only sound from one speaker in stereo pair = 3 rooms with sound from triad audio matrix and amp, TV has no speakers

The rooms with option #3 all work fine for all other sources (video and audio). The Hopper3 and 4k joeys are set up for audio = Dolby YES, sound leveling YES.

I have tried connecting the Hopper3/4k Joeys with just HDMI to the video switch (using audio connections from leaf to audio matrix) = no sound at all for #3, Toslink to audio matrix = only one speaker, stereo RCA from hopper to audio matrix = only one speaker. Of note all other sources to these rooms in #3 are fine with normal stereo with video and audio  (roku, appleTV, directTV, music etc). 

Please gurus what is the setting/connection that am I am doing wrong? Thank you!

Some more testing reveals that if I use a HDMI audio extractor this works...Since the hopper3 and 4k Joeys have both TosLink and RCA stereo outputs, why can't I force control4 to use those for the rooms the have speakers in ceiling and no AVR??? Or am I doing something totally wrong?

I have tried (on video source switch to hopper3) in only rooms with ceiling speakers with this issue, force the input of audio matrix to the stereo cables (or toslink cable) to audio matrix from Hopper3 (not video matrix with downmixing) to output to speakers...doesn't help...only works with HDMI audio extraction.

I guess that could be the answer but would love to save $200 not having to buy 4 extractors...any other ideas?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.