C4 Forums | Control4

No ground wires in house

Hi,

I would like to install some wireless dimmers in my house but I only have 2 wires in my existing dimmers...a Black and a White. (live and neutral)

Do I need a ground to get the c4 dimmers to work ? Are their alternative or other products like a 3 button keypad or they all need grounds ?

Thanks

The C4 dimmers/switches and keypads do not need a ground (green wire) to function. The ground is there for safety.

Is your wiring run through conduit (metal pipe)? If the wire is run through conduit then the metal conduit server as the ground path in most cases. If you are unsure I would recommend that you check with a licensed electrician as to the actual wiring in your house and local building codes.

Disclaimer: I am not an electrician.

if you only have 2 wires at the dimmer/switch location it would have to be hot and load, not neutral.

Good point. With only. This probably means that you will need to wire the C4 dimmers in a switch leg configuration.

C4 keypads and switches require a neutral to operate on lines power.

• 3 weeks later...

If you remove a switch and look into the electrical box, Check to see if the whole box is metal. If the whole box is metal and if you see just the Hot and Neutral coming into the box not wire that is romex (usually a white jacket around all the wires (not the bare wires) you have a electrical system that is grounded by the Conduit or BX

Archived