C4 Forums | Control4

!= in programming - what does it mean?

tigrzeye

No need now, but thanks for the offer.

As usual I was over thinking the solution for the end result. I redid the programming I was working on with 1 != statement to take the place of 3 = statements

For example in my case, and this is really watered down as I was solving 2 conflicting sets of programming, a custom button push to have surround sound audio from the HD cable box to the receiver on input video 1, for tv sound when wanted, and a when "current_selected_device" changes routine. I needed to address 4 possible receiver inputs cd, video 1, video 2, and video 3, used on my receiver and wanted to trigger a power off command to the receiver based on them when the current_selected_device changed. You can use one conditional such as if current receiver input != video 1 then power off

it takes the place of:

if the current receiver input = cd then power off

if the current receiver input = video 2 then power off

if the current receiver input = video 3 then power off

Power Off command will initiate as long as the input is not set to video 1. This eliminated conflict with my custom button push programming.

So far seems to work fine !!

worked first time tried then poof back to problem oh well back to the drawing board LOL

henniae.. after getting the answer as to what != meant I tried using it in programming and did not get the expected results. I have resolved my programming issues but in looking at the screen shot you provided I see it saying physically " is not " in the program line.

Please see my screen shot here and that it says " != " as opposed to " is not " in the programming line you showed..

Why?? Is the meaning still the same??

Inquiring minds want to know ;)

Archived