C4 Forums | Control4

Security System Email Alerts Quirk

AK1

Greetings,

I have a DSCPC1832 nicely integrated with my C4 via the DSC serial interface.

I recently added an email alert if the security system enters a trouble condition. This alert is now being triggered everytime the security system is disarmed, which is overkill.

Is there a way to figure out what the security system is reporting to C4 that registers a trouble condition on a simple disarm? There are no error conditions or stored errors in the security system itself.

Thanks...

It may be something like the security system I use where the actual security system logic cycles through another state on the way to disarmed state. In my case, when I arm mine to "Stay", it first goes to "Away", and then cycles into "Stay". So for my "Away" email alert, I had to introduce a pause and then check the state again to see whether it really was stay or away before deciding whether to send the email or not.

Thanks but my programming looks at the state of the security system and sends the email only on trouble condition. So introducing a pause wouldn't help. It seems the email alert is being triggered on every change in state with security system not just trouble state. To establish this I would like to see log output from the security system as received bu C4. How is this logging done?

I too have a DSC panel and IT-100 combo. I have the system send out a text message on the "...armed to Away" and "...enters Alarm state" without any problem. But, I haven't tried programming on "...registers a trouble condition"

Do you know what the DSC considers a "trouble condition"? For example, when I arm the system using one of my 6-buttons, the DSC system temporarily flashes "System is unavailable" as it receives the commands. I'm wondering if the DSC temporarily moving into "System is unavailable" is the equivalent of a "trouble condition"?

I have removed the email alert on the alarm error condition. I now only have the alert on alarm triggered. There are now no more "false" email alerts. The problem appears to be if you add an email alert on the condition security system has a problem then every arm or disarm will trigger the email alert.

Shame this doesn't work correctly as I would like to be alerted if the security system has a problem e.g. cut telephone line, running on battery etc.

What if you count the "events" such that

if you see a valid arm or disarm then +1

And then see a trouble then +1 again.

After a slight delay check the count.

If it's 2 then you can ignore the trouble since it's redundant to the arm/disarm

But if the count is just 1 then it must be trouble alone, and report that.

That's a great idea. I'll try it and let you know...

What if you count the "events" such that

if you see a valid arm or disarm then +1

And then see a trouble then +1 again.

After a slight delay check the count.

If it's 2 then you can ignore the trouble since it's redundant to the arm/disarm

But if the count is just 1 then it must be trouble alone, and report that.

Archived