C4 Forums | Control4

Sporadic t-stats?

thefred

I have 3 C4 t-stats. Two of them are working fine. The third one seems to operating sporadically. By that I mean if the temp is set to 73, sometimes it turns the furnace on, sometimes it doesn't. I'm not sure if its a t-stat or furnace problem. If I manually adjust the set temp, I hear the t-stat click when I raise the temp for the heat to go on, but most times nothing further happens.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any thoughts on whether its a t-stat problem or furnace problem?

Looks like you're using power stealing. Any way for you or your HVAC guy to run a common wire? It will work much better that way.

Thanks, Cody. Yes, the problematic t-stat is in an area I could get to. Does that mean that you think that the sporadic problem may be caused by the power stealing as opposed to a problem with the t-stat or furnace? Also, if the HVAC guy runs that wire, will my C4 dealer need to reprogram anything?

Looks like you're using power stealing. Any way for you or your HVAC guy to run a common wire? It will work much better that way.

Thanks' date=' Cody. Yes, the problematic t-stat is in an area I could get to. Does that mean that you think that the sporadic problem may be caused by the power stealing as opposed to a problem with the t-stat or furnace? Also, if the HVAC guy runs that wire, will my C4 dealer need to reprogram anything?[/quote']

No, you dont have to reconfigure anything except turn the switch for powerstealing to "off". When running on battery or powerstealing, a lot of people have had some weird things happen that was only cured by using a common wire.

Thanks' date=' Cody. Yes, the problematic t-stat is in an area I could get to. Does that mean that you think that the sporadic problem may be caused by the power stealing as opposed to a problem with the t-stat or furnace? Also, if the HVAC guy runs that wire, will my C4 dealer need to reprogram anything?[/quote']

No, you dont have to reconfigure anything except turn the switch for powerstealing to "off". When running on battery or powerstealing, a lot of people have had some weird things happen that was only cured by using a common wire.

Good to know. Thanks again. I guess the call will be to the HVAC guy and not C4. I wonder why they didn't run the common wire when they set up the t-stat. The job was a retro, but the other side of the wall where that t-stat is unfinished and contains the furnaces and elec panels.

Good to know. Thanks again. I guess the call will be to the HVAC guy and not C4. I wonder why they didn't run the common wire when they set up the t-stat. The job was a retro, but the other side of the wall where that t-stat is unfinished and contains the furnaces and elec panels.

A lot of times, things could just be replaced "one for one", you know - if it's working this way, don't wire it up a different way.

Archived