C4 Forums | Control4

Dimmer Won't Respond

I have installed a new dimmer in a location and added it to the system. It is recognized after 4 taps, but then goes to a white and red/orange light and won't turn off the lights. I try to change the colors in the properties, but they do not take. Can anyone provide me any suggestions. I tried this with 2 dimmers and have the same problem.

Dimmer firmware doesn't change much, but Zigbee Pro was the big change.

If you wired it both ways I'll bet you cooked the dimmer, but don't know for sure. If you're not familiar enough with electrical work to confirm which wire is hot you should hire an electrician.

Good luck. FYI, these are the dimmers you see for sale on eBay all too often...ones that were wired wrong and fried.

Also, does a dimmer run a specific version of the program, or is it entirely based on the version running on the controller?

Dimmers can run different versions of the ZigBee firmware. But as already stated the dimmer firmware does not change too often. I had some dimmers that I was using on 1.6 beta and had to install them in a 1.3 system. The dimmers identified but to not work correctly with 3-way setups using 2 button keypads.

It is possible to have a dimmer running a higher level firmware version than your current system software on your controller supports. What C4 system software version are you running on your controller.

Another question is if the dimmer can control the load from the button on the dimmer?

What is the model number of the dimmer?

I did couple of 1.8 upgrades and when dimmer is running zigbee pro and it is waiting for network it has yellow/kinda orange led's both top and bottom on. I dont know if it would identify on system running prev version, that would be question for C4.

is it possible that you got dimmers loaded with 1.8? was it an ebay purchase?

what happens when you press and hold bottom button for 4 to 5 sec. does it start to blink. If yes than it is running 1.8 and it's "searching for network"

try it.

Archived