C4 Forums | Control4

How can I shield(?) component cable

ILoveC4

One of the TV's in the house that rarely gets used (by me anyways) has some interference that I'm sure is from power. This TV is on the kitchen counter and the component cable is fed to the back of the TV through smurf tube. The problem is there was really only one place to run this smurf tube, right up the middle of the stud bay. The problem is that 110 power runs up each stud on either side, and the cable comes through the wall directly between and outlet and a light switch. When looking at the COP ghosting is noticable. Is there some shielding or something I can put on or around this cable to fix that?

Dan

It might be a ground loop. You might first try to isolate the ground for the TV (if it has a ground) by using one of the 3 prong ground adapter things.

I once had a problem with a ground loop on a TV. I ended up running an extension cord down to the equipment rack and the hum bars went away. We ended up having to run a new circuit for power to that TV.

The only way I can think of shielding the cable is to replace it with cable that is shielded.

Dan

It might be a ground loop. You might first try to isolate the ground for the TV (if it has a ground) by using one of the 3 prong ground adapter things.

I once had a problem with a ground loop on a TV. I ended up running an extension cord down to the equipment rack and the hum bars went away. We ended up having to run a new circuit for power to that TV.

The only way I can think of shielding the cable is to replace it with cable that is shielded.

Can you elaborate on how I might tell if it is a ground loop? Should I just run an extension cord to another outlet? I don't kjnow what a "3 prong adapter thing" is. The TV power cable does NOT have a ground. I should also mention (maybe this doesn't matter, I don't know) that the TV is plugged directly into a GFI.

If it does not work, well then return it. :cool: also if you look at my earlier post,;) i provided a link for a ground loop removing device from calrod. :)

On a project that we were working on for a box store, all of the TV's execpt the pioneers had a simular issue. Turns out that the pioneer's had larger power supplys which helped to reject the rf & emi from everything else.

We fixed the problem by using several power filtering devices and viola everything worked!

A mirror image sounds more like an internal TV problem.

when you see this problem, is it on both the component feed and when the internal DVD player is operating? If so have you tried to move the LCD to another room to verify that it happens else where? Another test would be to simply disconect the component feed from the TV and then view the internal DVD player to confirm whether or not it is the signal from the component feed, a possible electrical issue or that the TV is failing.

If you still have the issue when playing the internal dvd without the component feed hooked up, then try it in another room. If the problem is there in the kitchen but not in another room then it may be an local electrical issue. If the issue persists in other rooms of the house then it may be the tv.

I'll do a little testing later on this week. The TV is about two years old, and I don't ever use the built in DVD player. I thought it would be handy when I bought it, but it has never been used. The strange thing is that it is only noticeable on the GUI, but that GUI powers other TV's as well and that is not noticeable on the other TV's.

I'll do a little testing when I have some time this week and report back.

Archived