C4 Forums | Control4

How to create a playlist?

Hi,

I have a HC500, a 8 zones amp and a Remove Control RCZ-SRC2-B. I don't have any conexion to a TV, touch screen, Navigator installed, Composer or user manuals (except for the remove control user manual).

I have been able to move some music (mp3 files) for testing to the HC500 hard disk via ethernet and browsing through the exposed directories I found a ..\Media\Music directory.

How do I create a playlist, display it in the Remote Control and play it?

Thanks!

PD/ Yes, I know ... after $20K waste on this system and not having to be able to even do this is depressing, nontheless the Costa Rican leader thinks his is doing a great job representing Control4 and all its dealers' ethics.

I have never tried to make a playlist from the list navigator on the remote. I just tried and I don't think you can make playlists from the remote. I will keep searching.

You can download the free Composer ME (Media Edition) and use it to manage playlists. Here is a link to the page to download

http://www.control4.com/products/software/

I am curious why you did not have your HC-500 hooked up to a TV? The ability to navigate your music on screen is nice.

your dealer should have created "my.control4.com" account and register your controler, if you know that log in info go to that website and you will see "download" section. You can download composer media edition which will allow you to easly menage your media/playlist.

Thanks henniae and Rsmolo for your replies.

Now, this is where I stand.

I downloaded the Composer ME (Media Edition) from the link above without any my.control4.com account (BTW, I don't have an account there, what is it for??).

Then, I have created two playlists based on the music a transfered via thernet to the HC500 and placed it in \\my.HC500.IPAddress\media\audio\music. For creating these two playlists, I used the scan option the Composer ME offers to identify new music, then dra&drop the music pieces I wanted in each playlist. Then, I "Refresh Navigators" ...

Now, how to I get the Remote Control to display, choose and play music for these playlists?

Now, how to I get the Remote Control to display, choose and play music for these playlists?

On your remote you go to

1. Hit the "List" button

2. Scroll down to "Music" and hit the right arrow button

3. Select "My Library" and hit the right arrow button

4. Scroll down to "Playlists" and hit the right arrow button

5. Select a playlist and hit the select button.

Edit: I see that you have a Version 2 remote. Instead of the List button use the Display button.

thanks again henniae.

I don't know if my RCZ-SRC2-B remote is vesion 2 o not, but I know that I am running version 1.7.3.68 and that it is deally slow to get a response from my remote when hitting buttons (I keep wondering if I pressed to button or not). Nonetheless, that is a secundary problem from the one at hand.

When I hit "List" (LCD in my remote) and scroll down to "Music" and hit the right arrow button, I don't get a "My Library" option. Any idea on how to make it display?

"Zones" and "Cpu". When hitting right arrow on "Zones" the list of options that are displayed contains only one item named "Empty". When hitting right arrow on "CPU" music from one of the in-line inputs in the Amplifier can be played in the chosen room.

Using the "CPU" option is the only way I have been able to use the Control4 sound system up today, with the additional complication that I have take my portable computer close to the HC500 and amplifier rack to connect it to the amp in-line, which is very inconvenient.

Using the "CPU" option is the only way I have been able to use the Control4 sound system up today, with the additional complication that I have take my portable computer close to the HC500 and amplifier rack to connect it to the amp in-line, which is very inconvenient.

So you have to hook up the sound card in your PC to an input on the amp to play music?

HC500 and amp are connected via ethernet.

Yes, I have to connect my laptop computer audio output (using either iTunes or Media Player) to the amp in-line to listen to any music, while a have an empty 160GB HD drive in the HC500 doing nothing at all! Doing this is very inconvenient, as the controller and amp are installed on a rack away from my office, with no space to work or seat down.

Today, whenever I want music play in any of the five rooms I have speakers installed, I need the in-line connected, then I chose a Location (any of the five rooms available) with the remote control and then hit "CPU" to hear music in that room.

The current room that the remote is set to is "Office".

HC500 and amp are connected via ethernet.

There are no other audio cables from the 3 audio outs of the HC-500 to audio inputs of the AMP??? If there are no audio cables from the HC-500 to the amp you wil not be able to listen to music off the hard drive in the HC-500.

I actually thought that music would be transfered via ethernet from the HC500 to the amp. So, I was wrong then; it is good to know!

So I have now connected the HC500 Audio Out #1 to the Amp Input #1. One steps closer! Please keep asking questions, it is very helpful!

Any idea on how to play a playlist (or a single song!) using the remote in my configuration?

I actually thought that music would be transfered via ethernet from the HC500 to the amp. So, I was wrong then; it is good to know!

So I have now connected the HC500 Audio Out #1 to the Amp Input #1. One steps closer! Please keep asking questions, it is very helpful!

Any idea on how to play a playlist (or a single song!) using the remote in my configuration?

The music is not transferred over the Ethernet. The Ethernet is only for control.

All you have to do now is make the connections from the HC-500 to the amp in Composer Pro.

I assume these connections you are mentioning are "logical" rather than physical, aren't they?

Would this make the playlists to be shown in the remote control?

yep.

Edit: had to step away for a few minutes.

Yes, there are 2 types of connections you have to make. The physical connections are made between your equipment, basically hooking up all the wires. After all the equipment is physically hooked up you have to use Composer Pro to define the physical connections. These are the bindings and it is how the C4 system knows what devices are hooked together. Once you bind the analog audio outputs on the HC-500 to the audio inputs on the amp you will refresh navigators and the music should show up on the remote.

I don't have Composer Pro.

I've been told it is for "dealers' eyes only", and it is the tool with which: all Control4 customers are prevented from forgetting about Control4 dealers, and these dealers make consulting money. This is Control4 business model, right?

If I have been misinformed, where could I get it?

I don't have Composer Pro.

I've been told it is for "dealers' eyes only", and it is the tool with which: all Control4 customers are prevented from forgetting about Control4 dealers, and these dealers make consulting money. This is Control4 business model, right?

If I have been misinformed, where could I get it?

You are correct that Composer Pro is a dealer tool.

Your dealer should have configured you HC-500 to play music for you. This is a very standard C4 setup. Based on what you said you paid for your system, I would say you did not get your money worth. I would recommend you go back to your dealer and have him fix this.

It will take less than 5 minutes to make the changes needed to allow you to play the music on you HC-500.

Archived