C4 Forums | Control4

Speakercraft NIRV apparently a competitor to Control4

Hey guys,

I'm sure many integrators on this forum are also Speakercraft dealers as I am. A while back there was a discussion about how the NIRV would compliment Contorl4. I've done lots of research on NIRV (their forums are a great place to start, you have to register to see the pre-releae posts). Anyway it seeks to be a whole house control system with lighting, HVAC, audio, video, intercom, etc.

The video/audio distribution format seems to be somewhat like JAP.

Honestly, I dont see this as a valid alternative until they have a wireless solution like Zigbee. Although the details haven't been released, they claim no wi-fi, and without that you'd have to run Cat5 to anything you want to control like to a thermostat? Either that or have IR blasters all over the dang place.

I actually use their speakers a ton but I'm curious how the nirv will play out. They may have integration with Control4 and others via RS-232. Perhaps using control4 for everything except video distribution and then use nirv for that only (as an altnerative to JAP) and perhaps intercom (their interco solution seems really nice).

To bad the debut was an the European ISE last week. No good press stories or photos from that show.

Archived