C4 Forums | Control4

Contact Question - Garage doors

Question for the group. I have a contact/relay extended in my garage handling the doors and switches. It connects via zigbee to my system. I don't often use the actual C4 control, but I do have it programmed to close all the doors at like 2am or something.

Well, this morning I noticed first thing that one of the garage doors was open. So I loaded up HE and tried things. All the door buttons fire correctly, opening/closing the door. But the contacts always show the doors as closed.

I'm unsure when this started happening, but I know it hasn't "always" been this way.

Any thoughts? BTW - I'm on 1.7x if it matters.

A contact on the door could be out of alignment. The magnet could have fallen off. A wire could be loose. It could be a problem in your programming or a binding. One of the contact switch sensors on the contact relay extender could have gone bad.

BTW, the contact relay extender is not supported using ZigBee in 1.8 and 2.0. If you ever play on upgrading you will need to use Ethernet to connect the contact relay extender to the system.

Edit: power cycle the contact relay extender.

The issue I'm having just seems "wrong". C4 happily controls each of the doors, which means that the 3 relays on the contact/relay extended are all fine. None of the garage door "icons" show correctly though, and none of them toggle, meaning all 3 of the contacts seem to be operating incorrectly.

I find it hard to believe that all 3 of the contacts are bad, but I'm going to test them tomorrow with a continuity tester to find out. Similarly, I find it odd that all 3 of the contact points on the extender would fail, but the relays would all be fine.

As far as I can tell, there is no programming involved here. I'm just going to the "garage" room, looking at the doors in the house section of the CoP, and getting the results I state.

Oh, and cycling the extender didn't help.

Any thoughts?

Definately bound. Dealer left me a ton of screen caps of the various bindings in case we ever lost the project file.

So I have a single contact/relay extender.

- Relay ports 1-3 are bound to 3 relays (left/middle/right door). Not sure what they are specifically but the image in my screen cap is a garage door, and the properties show a "invert relay" flag turned off, a "pulse type" dialog box selected, and a "pulse length" of 500ms.

- Contact ports 1-3 are bound to 3 contacts (left/middle/right door). Again, image is a garage door, "invert sensor" flag off, "enable debounce" flag off.

Tomorrow I'll play with the sensors themselves. Figure I'll continuity test them first, and if that works I'll make sure the wiring is tigh to the extender itself. Last, I'll write some code that toggles my garage door light on door open/close and play with that to see if the sensor is triggering, but the "door" just not switching or something like that.

I appreciate the help here.

Archived