C4 Forums | Control4

CFL and C4 dimmers

If I purchase dimmable CFL bulbs will they work with c4 dimmers. The reason I ask is CFL bulbs usually are only about 14 watts for a comparable 60w incandescent. Can C4 dim down 8-10-or 12 watts?

thanks

They will work, but you won't have the same dimming "range" that you have with incandescents (sp?). Typically you have to get to about 30% before they will turn on, but I don't know that for certain as I don't use them.

Good to see you back dugery, it's been a while =)

• 4 months later...

I am having a small Control4 install performed soon. I have nine standard Control4 dimmers (LDZ-101-W) and one six-button keypad being installed. Currently, I have regular CFLs in the lights that will be controlled by those dimmers. I was planning on replacing the regular CFLs with dimmable CFLs. I asked the installer if dimmable CFLs would work with the standard dimmers, and he said that the dimmers would only work with incandescent bulbs. He said that I would need a different Control4 dimmer that would be compatible with dimmable CFLs (or LEDs). Is that correct? I know that the newer dimmers have two versions, but were there two versions of the LDZ dimmers for incandescent bulbs and dimmable CFL?

Thank you.

I am having a small Control4 install performed soon. I have nine standard Control4 dimmers and one six-button keypad being installed. Currently, I have regular CFLs in the lights that will be controlled by those dimmers. I was planning on replacing the regular CFLs with dimmable CFLs. I asked the installer if dimmable CFLs would work with the standard dimmers, and he said that the dimmers would only work with incandescent bulbs. He said that I would need a different Control4 dimmer that would be compatible with dimmable CFLs (or LEDs). Is that correct? Are there different dimmers for incandescent bulbs and dimmable CFLs?

Thank you.

Your Dimmer requires a min load of 25watts to work. As long as the Sum of all your bulbs on that dimmer are equal to 25, or more than 25watts then your Dimmer will work.

If you buy an ELV dimmer they require a 7W load to start.

I use 5 of these LED Dimmable bulbs in my kitchen on the same dimmer they draw 9Watts each and put out 429 lumens which is a lot brighter than you would expect.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xg3/R-202188260/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Mike

Archived