C4 Forums | Control4

WiFi Speakers Delay using "Radio" Button (Can it be fixed?)

Controlling4

Hello,

I just installed WiFi Speakers in one of my rooms. When listening to "Music" (Using the Music Button and listening to Digital music from the Controller) the WiFi unit is synced up with the other rooms in the house which is nice for entertainig guests throughout the house.

However; when listening to "Radio" there is a considerable delay.

The way my Radio is set up is using a Cable Box connected to the Controller, this way I can listen to any cable channel through any rooms speakers. It's great for music and listening to the news and just leaving the TV off. It's also great for rooms without TVs and just listening to Cable music.

My problem is when I listen to the "Radio" on my WiFi speakers there is a 1-2 second delay compared to the other rooms where the speakers go straight through the Controller/AMP.

Is there a way to sync up the Radio on my WiFi with the Radio on my wired home speakers? And can I do this without messing up the Sync with the home speakers and thier respective TVs?

Thanks,

There is a delay due to the Controller digitizing the audio, which makes it available to the rest of the Control4 system. Anytime an analog source is connected to a controller, a delay will occur. When running it through an amp, there is no need to digitize the source, since the amp just passes the signal along.

I should also say that the wifi speakers (I'm assuming you're using speakerpoints) have to receive the signal and convert it back to analog, this is also part of the delay compared to just running through an amp.

Thanks,

I'm guessing there is no real fix. The reason I had them installed was because the room needed speakers and rewiring the house to add another pair in the ceiling was far more expensive than just buying a couple speakers and hooking them up to a WiFi Speakerpoint.

Do you think if I connected the Speakerpoint via ethernet and not the WiFi there would be any difference?

Wired or wireless is irrelevant, it will be out of sync because an analog source is being converted to digital and back again, anytime a speaker point is used for anything not already digital this will happen regardless of the communication medium used.

• 2 months later...

WiFi will Sync with Wired Speakers!

I don't know why, I have a few ideas why, but you can sync WiFi with the Wired Speakers when listening to "Radio" or "Digital Music." The real issue for me was with the "Radio."

Here's how you do it.

Start listening to "Radio" in any room, then add ALL Zones in your house, then the WiFi will be synced up. After that, deselect the rooms you don't want and the WiFi will still be synced up.

Note: When I deselect the rooms I don't want I just deselect all rooms and reselect the rooms I want before pressing "OK."

Hope this helps.

Archived