C4 Forums | Control4

planning a new home install

Hi All

Im new to the forum but have been reading for a while - thanks for the insight.

I am planning to install C4 in my new house which I will be building in the coming months. I am hoping if I outline my wants and needs you all can tell me what I will require for equipment so that I can better engage with my integrator.

Needs.

6 zone audio

4 zone HD video using 4/6 audio zones.

a handful of lighting controls

full remote control of the system, preferably without IR

For HD video, I will have:

HDTV terminal

MAC laptop for movies and music (ext HD attached)

PS3 for gaming and Bluray

Perhaps others???

I also want Ipod docking capabilities.

What other wants should I have or consider with C4?

In one of the 4 HD and audio zones, I will have a full theatre with projector, screen, 7.1 and so forth. In this space I will use a Denon 7.1 amp

I am experienced with low volt wiring so if you all can tell me what wires I require where and what C4 kit I should look to have and where I will most appreciate it.

In the past I have done this same set up with my current kit which is

Russound Cam6.6

Video Storm 4x4 RGB HD matrix

IR control over cat4 and structured wiring with 6 audio zones and 4 hd zones.

Theatre with denon amp, projector and so forth.

All control is over IR via Cat5 using IR plates on the russound Uno wall plates.

If you can tell me what of my kit to keep and what to replace or will be replaced by C4 that would be awesome.

Thanks a lot.

Gerard

Nothing wrong with IR control. I've never had a lick of trouble with on/off sync issues. IMO, serial sucks but that's what you get on certain pieces of CE. IP? never used it.

If you've been reading then you should know some of your answers already. You can "go" the GoGo route (video infrastructure) and be set for many years to come or you can do like most of us and run several RGs and CATs and stay with component as long as you can. For us, HDMI over CAT is here now but not really in 1.4 form like what will be needed for 2k/3d.

You really want iPod capability? It's not that expensive but I never use the two I have. If you plan on videos through the iPod, plan on a video input somewhere. Other video sources? Well, there's Vudu (one more input into your switch).

You don't mention GUIs or remotes. What are you thinking there? It could get very expensive even with iPads & licences. Plan on a few SR-250s just becuase they are handy for non-C4 types (like wifes and kids).

Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned, aside from my projector, I have an LG plasma, and a Samsung LCD and a Smaller LCD display. These will be what I use for video. For control, I would use my iphone, the wifes Iphone and probaby no less than 2 SR250 remotes. I suppose if we added a ipad in future it would get used too, but im not too fused there. I would just put wall controls in each zone too.

You make a great point about in wall video wiring. Im not familiar with GOGO??? can you explain? I am experienced with component over RGs and would prefer this, but the whole 3d thing is creeping up on us.... is there a reasonable way to pull HDMI over distance yet (for 3d)?

You are probably right about the ipod dock. As for Vudu, I am in canada so I dont event thing we get it here, and would this be advantaged over say apple tv or google tv? I doubt it. So ya, theres another option I didnt consider.

Can you detail out the kit you would think to use to meet my needs? Im still not totally clear on what each piece of C4 does independently and what the master /slave deal is for HD video, etc.

Thanks

Gerard

Archived